PDA

View Full Version : Domain Registration and Google Apps

Vishal Agarwal
July 6th, 2013, 07:02 AM
Hi,

I wanted to register my own domain to launch my own website, but due to not clear knowledge i am unable to do so. I was wondering that if I want to register my own domain I will need all what :

1. I will need to Register a domain
2. I will need DNS entries
3. I will need the hosting space
4. I will need to park my domain with some service provider
5. I will need mysql tables
6. I will need email id's

and after all of this, how can I use google apps services, and how these will be helpful to me.

I am totally blank regarding the internet part of domain registration and hosting etc. laymen technical details.

I will be thankful if any of our forum member can guide me and help me.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Vishal Agarwal

CharlesA
July 6th, 2013, 08:31 AM
First off, pick a domain registrar. I use domain.com cuz I got a sweet deal when I originally purchased my domains. They have hosting as well, but I opted to just run a small VPS to host my site as it was easier for me to modify it.

Your domain registrar should give you a DNS control panel. If you are using the same place for registering your domain and hosting, they should have everything setup in DNS for you. Most shared hosting packages come with a number of email accounts.

Of your list, you basically:

Register a domain name
Set DNS if needed
Get web hosting

As far as Google apps goes, I don't use them.

Vishal Agarwal
July 6th, 2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks for your reply.
Actually my problem is roaming around the control panel. In a control panel I will get all the related queries solved.
Thanks for your reply.
Google Apps I will search some later on.

Buntu Bunny
July 6th, 2013, 02:52 PM
You only need Google Apps if you're setting up your website or purchasing your domain name through Google.

CharlesA
July 6th, 2013, 03:46 PM
Thanks for your reply.
Actually my problem is roaming around the control panel. In a control panel I will get all the related queries solved.
Thanks for your reply.
Google Apps I will search some later on.

What control panel are you referring to?

Gnawnsense
July 7th, 2013, 01:17 AM
I use Google apps for one of my domains. Primarily because the registration services I went through only offered one free email package, and upgrading to the next available was doubling my monthly cost. So for this specific account, we chose to utilize the Google Business Apps package.

Since it was for my wife's page, it was nice having the cloud based apps built-in to the email address from the website. Only downside is it's $5 per user, regardless of access. Kind of wish it was a bit cheaper if you just wanted the email address via Gmail, but left out the apps on some accounts. But enough of my mini-rant.

Setting the Google Apps up is fairly simple if you've already registered your domain. If not, I believe you can register through Google, as well, tho I'm not sure how that ends up pricing out. Their step-by-step guide is fairly straight forward with their Setup Wizard, tho, but you will need direct access to your webhost cPanel, or if you're through like GoDaddy, just access into your registration account to point your MX Records if it's not possible for your host to do it automatically.

aysiu
July 7th, 2013, 11:40 PM
You really need only the domain name and Google Apps, I believe. All that other stuff is extra. Are you trying to create a separate website apart from Google Apps, too?

sandyd
July 8th, 2013, 05:11 AM
Note that google apps is no longer free
http://lifehacker.com/5967154/what-should-i-do-now-that-google-apps-accounts-are-no-longer-free

mr john
July 8th, 2013, 08:34 PM
You only need Google Apps if you're setting up your website or purchasing your domain name through Google.

We mostly use Google Apps to manage our email accounts. Google Apps has many features other than web hosting. We also use Google Docs and Google Drive. We use another separate service for our web hosting. If you own a domain it's worth checking out the various services that Google provide. Some of the features are as good as, if not better than an Exchange/Office solution. You don't have to point all your services to Google either.