PDA

View Full Version : New to linux but understand the basics

Rivertune
July 6th, 2013, 03:47 AM
So I have been messing around with ubuntu for some time now and I understand the basics installing packages and navagation via terminal
I was wonder where I guess the linux vets would go from there on expanding and learning more and more? sorry in advance if this has been posted a millon times lol rather new to the forums thanks in advance!

cariboo
July 6th, 2013, 04:37 AM
See as this question has nothing to do with the forum, moved to the Cafe.

tgalati4
July 6th, 2013, 04:42 AM
Check out the NewDocs link in my signature. Over 1,000 pages of reading to get you started.

coldraven
July 6th, 2013, 08:54 AM
You could read this free magazine (pdf), something might interest you. You could even contribute your own experiences.
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

Erik1984
July 6th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Not that I am a Linux expert in any way but most things I just learned by doing something and Googling for help (and sometimes ask on the forums). Is there anything you might want to write a script for? That could be a great start for learning more about Linux and especially about shell scripting.

stalkingwolf
July 6th, 2013, 03:45 PM
for me figuring out how to do things i want to do is a never ending learning experience especially when it changes with a new lts.

farrinux
July 6th, 2013, 06:30 PM
You could read this free magazine (pdf), something might interest you. You could even contribute your own experiences.
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/

A very good source for info ^. Also try OSAlt by nixie pixel on you tube. Last but not least OMG ubuntu and Webup8, These are good sources for learning things in Ubuntu and linux in general.

Paqman
July 6th, 2013, 06:39 PM
I was wonder where I guess the linux vets would go from there on expanding and learning more and more?

The point of learning more is so that you can do more. So pick something you've never done before and find out how to do it. Set up a server, install a caching proxy or an APT mirror on it. Install Quickly, learn Python and create an application. Get some old Pentiums for free and set up a thin client system. If you're feeling really masochistic, grab a copy of Linux From Scratch and start wading through it. There are a million ideas for projects to push yourself.

In short, pick a project that sounds interesting and have a go. Learn by doing.

Double.J
July 6th, 2013, 08:19 PM
^^^ Brilliant post Paqman :D

For me personally, I did a gentoo install. if you want to really get a practical sense of how your GNU/Linux system works a command line install is pretty sweet. It's one down from linux from scratch, but in a nutshell you'll start in ubuntu's command line (or the gentoo install environment if you wish - if you already have ubunut installed, just start in ubuntu ;) ) partition your disk, expand tarballs, mount partitions, chroot, learn about DHCP networking, wifi networking in the CLI, compiling a kernel, using CLi based browsers, package structure, configuring Xserver, and then finally buildng a custom desktop.

Thats if you want to learn the structure of linux - you basically are the installer - but it is a lot of work, and the actual pay off is relatively little; does being able to build a car make you better at driving it?

if you're getting on with the common CLI commands, I'd really recommend getting started with bash scripting (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Beginners/BashScripting) to reinforce what you've leanred and play some more :)

following steps as paqman says are gonna be python ... perl as well if you'd like to oneday work in linux, but for now, just just come up with projects to force you to learn to do new things!

Best of luck :D

BR8
July 9th, 2013, 05:04 AM
I've been trying to get some of the source code to Linux to edit it and essentially play, but they don't have nice little packets that are labelled "Entire Kernel Code" and "Entire Cinnamon Code". You could try something like that.

steveneddy
July 14th, 2013, 03:53 AM
The point of learning more is so that you can do more. So pick something you've never done before and find out how to do it. Set up a server, install a caching proxy or an APT mirror on it. Install Quickly, learn Python and create an application. Get some old Pentiums for free and set up a thin client system. If you're feeling really masochistic, grab a copy of Linux From Scratch and start wading through it. There are a million ideas for projects to push yourself.

In short, pick a project that sounds interesting and have a go. Learn by doing.

I like this answer the best.

You will only learn by doing - so hose the system you have now and then figure out how to fix it.

Then do it again.

Then set up a web server and host a small web page - and write your own HTML - just for fun and so you know how it works. Then make the page a little more content filled each day checking out various scripts, Java and host a small forum on there - just for fun.

Install Linux from scratch - break it - then fix it.

The thin client deal should be a LOT of fun.

Have fun.

whatthefunk
July 14th, 2013, 04:12 AM
Paqmans answer is the best. Find some projects to do. Make some shell scripts to do basic things that you do regularly. Make your own theme. Pick up an old computer for next to nothing and install a barebones OS on it. Try out beta software and try to fix it when it goes wrong. There are thousands of things you can do. When I first started using Linux, I messed up my system more times than I can count and had to reinstall the OS almost once a month. But with each failure I learned something new and now, while Im definitely no Linux expert, I rarely run into a situation that I cant find a solution for. Be sure to make good backups before you go messing around. That is probably the first thing we all learn and Im guessing a lot of us have learned it the hard way.

Another good way to learn is by reading the forums and trying to chip in where you can. What I usually do is find a thread that interests me, post a possible solution (if I have one) and then read other peoples ideas.

ana551
July 14th, 2013, 11:33 AM
www.karunya.edu/ (http://www.karunya.edu/)linuxclub/resources/LinuxTutorial.pdf‎

read a few tutorials....there is alot on the internet regarding linux systems

Paqman
July 14th, 2013, 07:30 PM
Another good way to learn is by reading the forums and trying to chip in where you can.

+9000

Teaching is a great way to learn.