PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 fails and apt problem

axept
July 5th, 2013, 08:33 AM
When trying to upgrade my release from 12.10 to 13.04 I get this output in terminal:

axept@aXept-Lifebook:~$ sudo do-release-upgrade
Ser etter ny utgave av Ubuntu
Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 144, in <module>
fetcher = get_fetcher(options.frontend, m.new_dist, options.data_dir)
File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 37, in get_fetcher
from DistUpgrade.DistUpgradeFetcherCore import DistUpgradeFetcherCore
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeFetcherCore.py", line 30, in <module>
import tempfile EOFError: EOF read where not expected Error in sys.excepthook:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport_python_hook.py", line 64, in
apport_excepthook from apport.fileutils import likely_packaged, get_recent_crashes
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/__init__.py", line 4, in <module> from apport.report import
Report File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/apport/report.py", line 12, in <module> import subprocess, tempfile, os.path, re, pwd, grp, os
EOFError: EOF read where not expected Original exception was:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 144, in <module> fetcher = get_fetcher(options.frontend, m.new_dist, options.data_dir)
File "/usr/bin/do-release-upgrade", line 37, in get_fetcher from DistUpgrade.DistUpgradeFetcherCore import DistUpgradeFetcherCore
File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/DistUpgrade/DistUpgradeFetcherCore.py", line 30, in <module> import tempfile
EOFError: EOF read where not expected
axept@aXept-Lifebook:~$

And when running apt-cache info:

axept@aXept-Lifebook:~$ apt-cache policy ubuntu-release-upgrader-core
ubuntu-release-upgrader-core:
Installert: 1:0.190.7
Kandidat: 1:0.190.7
Versjonstabell: *** 1:0.190.7 0

500 http://no.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates/main amd64 Packages
500 http://gb.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-updates/main amd64 Packages
500 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal-security/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status 1:0.190.1 0
500 http://no.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ quantal/main amd64 Packages

And:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade

Don't do anything. All is up to date apparently..

Trying to launch "Update Manager" gives the same error as "do-release-upgrade". Tried to remove .pyc files in /etc/apt/dist-packages/ and reinstalled python stuff as found in a Bug-report...

Any suggestion?

Btw, running "Software packages" from "system-settings" doesn't work. It won't start. Suppose its the same reason.. Its been slow to start before, but now it just won't start.

I also get this error when trying to add a repository from terminal.. Whats going on??????

dino99
July 5th, 2013, 03:38 PM
open /etc/apt/sources.list, and change "quantal" by "raring", and deactivate third party repos if any, like ppa(s)
save and close that file, then update/upgrade again

note: think to clean the system before doing the above commands: clean/autoclean/autoremove/gtkorphan/bleachbit

axept
July 6th, 2013, 05:31 AM
And where should I disable third party repos when I can't open the GUI, what file?

claracc
July 6th, 2013, 06:27 AM
And where should I disable third party repos when I can't open the GUI, what file?

You can do it in file /etc/apt/sources.list

You edit this file as root:
gksudo gedit /etc/apt/sources.list
and write a # sign before the line referring to the ppa you want to disable

axept
July 6th, 2013, 02:22 PM
There's no third party PPA's in there, like steampowered, private launchpad etc..

axept
July 9th, 2013, 08:44 PM
Up you go..

No one that have a clue why I can't add PPA's or even start Update Manager? When System shows there's updates for my system I can't install them, because the install button doesn't work..

Bashing-om
July 9th, 2013, 10:12 PM
axept; Hi !

Sources may be located in
/etc/apt/sources.list
or
the directory /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

ls -la /etc/apt/sources.list.d/
more likely the PPAs' source is in that directory.

just try'n to help

axept
July 10th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Thanks,

Tried many things last night with live help. Seemed to be a corrupt *pyc file somewhere. Whatever I did, I got the same error. So this morning I gave up and installed a fresh install of 13.04..