PDA

View Full Version : I love Hoary

nocturn
March 23rd, 2005, 09:54 AM
I just tried out Hoary for the first time (still running Warty) using the LiveCD.

I LOVE IT!!!

It looks great, I cannot believe the improvements made from the previous release.
I will soon upgrade my Warty installs and Hoary is going to be the new OS for my home server.

TjaBBe
March 23rd, 2005, 10:08 AM
I am very curious to start using Hoary too. Im going to wait untill it go's stable, although I beleive it should be as good as stable so close before the release date. Yet I think I will wait :D. Can't wait to finally really go from XFree to X.org as the prospect of Ubuntu supportingh X.org sooner then debian was one of the main reasons I switched from debian to Ubuntu on my desktop systems :).

jsgotangco
March 23rd, 2005, 10:09 AM
Hoary is already stable basedon my experience - already usable really. But I really suggest waiting for the final release which is just 2 weeks away.

carlc
March 23rd, 2005, 11:39 PM
What makes Hoary so different? Does anyone care to list some notable differences between Hoary and Warty? I am happy enough with the warthog and at this point that I have no huge desire to upgrade.

jdodson
March 24th, 2005, 12:42 AM
What makes Hoary so different? Does anyone care to list some notable differences between Hoary and Warty? I am happy enough with the warthog and at this point that I have no huge desire to upgrade.

sure.

gnome 2.10. http://www.gnome.org/start/2.10/notes/rnwhatsnew.html this might seem like a trivial release, it is not. the new changes are amazing.

default human clearlooks theme upgrade(this is seriously awesome).

xorg - this, like gnome 2.10 is a showstopper, xorg much improved video card support native. if i did not require 3D i would not go proprietary driver! the proprietary driver does not afford me a higher resolution anymore, the default is great!

better icon/menu integration - a grip of warty was that it hardly ever added the icons to the gnome menu. i have found that most of the programs get added, some still don't, but it is much nicer.

speed - it is faster.

ndiswrapper - on the install disc!

latest and greatest - of the coolest programs. some programs that i find noteworthy: firefox 1.0.1, kino .7.5(this program is great!), battle for wesnoth, gaim, openoffice.

update manager - this is a bit easier to use than synaptic and it is pretty automatic.

new default background - this is a pretty cool new background.

this release is about polish and it is an amazing job sofar.

poofyhairguy
March 24th, 2005, 12:48 AM
http://www.gnome.org/start/2.10/notes/rnwhatsnew.html[/url] this might seem like a trivial release, it is not. the new changes are amazing.

Big release. Now I can make everything on my iconbar transparent. In Warty the parts with the words of applets wouldn't.

Unfortunately my favorite Gnome tool (the networking tool) got gutted at the last minute. They took away the ability to add new connections. Its to bad, 2.9s kicked ass.