PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do a switch from ubuntu to lubuntu/openbox without loosing the advantages?

sb1980ma
July 3rd, 2013, 09:31 PM
Hi all,

I have purchased an ASUS laptop with ubuntu 12.04 bundled. The performance is not how I would like it and most of the stuff is not useful for me (besides the drivers and stuff like function keys etc)
So I installed openbox as WM and configured it to suite my needs. Now I still have Ubuntu with several GUIs installed and a bunch of stuff I don't need.
Can I "downgrade" to just use openbox and nothing else, but keep benefits like function keys and good drivers? Or is it better to do a fresh install? And which base should I choose if i want to use Openbox?

Thanks to all

snowpine
July 3rd, 2013, 09:39 PM
You don't need to do anything, actually. Just select Openbox from the login screen, and you're good to go. :)

Peripheral Visionary
July 3rd, 2013, 09:40 PM
A minimal install + Openbox would fly fast! But it is probably not for those without some expertise. I suggest Xubuntu or Lubuntu (Lubuntu uses Openbox as it's window manager, sounds like what you want), and a fresh install of Lubuntu will include whatever non-proprietery drivers you might need, a nice choice of lightweight applications, and the simple and functional LXDE desktop managed by a first-rate file manager (PCManFM). But with Openbox you can unselect "let PCManFM manage the desktop" and use the LXDE panel and goodies or not.

If you want to try Openbox all by itself without any LXDE mixed in, just for giggles check out Crunchbang Linux (http://crunchbanglinux.org) (Debian Stable with Openbox, Conky, and some preconfigured cool lightweight stuff. Geeky fun!

Irihapeti
July 3rd, 2013, 09:44 PM
Openbox on its own can be a lot of fun if you like tinkering with things. A lot needs to be done manually that has wizards and GUIs in other DEs.

Hylas de Niall
July 3rd, 2013, 10:13 PM
@Irihapeti and OP: Crunchbang is a great choice for a clean Openbox experience, and there is minimal tinkering required (menu short-cuts for gui config tools), plus the Crunchbang forum is chock-full of great advice for those who want to tinker!

Another option is the French distribution 'Madbox' which is Ubu 12.04 with Openbox, though i'm not sure if they've updated the iso so there may well be a lot of updates needed.

sb1980ma
July 4th, 2013, 07:30 AM
Thanks for you answers so far.
I have been trying Lubuntu and Xubuntu in the past, but actually I like it more minimal and that's why i switched to a "pure" openbox with minimal own configuration.

I am a little bit concerned about Lubuntu, because last time audio- and video-drivers actually where not really working good in there.

The reason why I would prefer to do the switch from my current installation without doing a whole new installation is that I did already many settings and installed a lot of tools, after a fresh install I would need to do it again. But on the other hand, weekend is coming, maybe I really do a full switch to crunchbang. Heard a lot of it. Does it have a good support for additional monitors and other relevant stuff on laptops?

Thx

mardybear
July 5th, 2013, 07:00 AM
Howdy.

It sounds like you've already got what you want, a working Debian based system (Ubuntu) with a minimal Openbox desktop. If your drivers and everything is working great...why change. Since your system is working well, the only reason i would consider a reinstall/other install is if i didn't have enough hard drive space for all the extra fluff of a full Ubuntu install (not an issue for most users) or if i simply wanted to tinker/play (your decision, nobody on the forum can answer that for you).

Have fun,

mardybear

sb1980ma
July 8th, 2013, 07:52 PM
@mardybear: the reason i wanted to switch, is that i now had gnome, openbox and lubuntu openbox installed at the same time, which did not look like a good idea ..

anyway, I really made the switch to crunchbang and must say I am quite happy . only thing is that my touchpad is not working like it should be, but I'm gonna figure this one out soon hopefully

mardybear
July 8th, 2013, 09:09 PM
Just because gnome, lubuntu and openbox are installed, you're essentially just running one at a time especially if you take the time to tweak your startup/background processes. Have fun with crunchbang though...i tried it a while back but found that everything worked better in ubuntu (eg. your touchpad). Maybe i'll give it another try though...just for fun!

Take care, mardybear

snowpine
July 8th, 2013, 09:33 PM
@mardybear: the reason i wanted to switch, is that i now had gnome, openbox and lubuntu openbox installed at the same time, which did not look like a good idea ..

Harmless.

vasa1
July 9th, 2013, 03:29 AM
Just because gnome, lubuntu and openbox are installed, you're essentially just running one at a time especially if you take the time to tweak your startup/background processes. Have fun with crunchbang though...i tried it a while back but found that everything worked better in ubuntu (eg. your touchpad). Maybe i'll give it another try though...just for fun!

Take care, mardybear
The part in bold is important.

ubume2
July 9th, 2013, 02:22 PM
For kicks, I installed mini.iso in Virtualbox, and built it up. Experimented with openbox, icewm, window maker, and e17. They all work. Way to go if you want to go minimal.

If you have the HD space to spare, I would stick with a full Ubuntu or Xubuntu install, so you don't lose any "advantages". Remove the apps you don't use. When you login go into openbox session.

I haven't found the system slower just because you have full Ubuntu "underneath"

snowpine
July 9th, 2013, 02:45 PM
I haven't found the system slower just because you have full Ubuntu "underneath"

+1

It is like having two (or more) cars in the garage. If you want to carry a lot of passengers in comfort, you take the big gas-guzzling SUV. If you want to get somewhere in a hurry without using a lot of gas, you take the compact. The fact you have an Escalade sitting in the garage doesn't magically make your Prius consume more gas. ;)

su:bhatta
July 10th, 2013, 10:04 AM
Keeping the option open is really a good idea... never know when you get tired of 'minimal'...
+1 to snowpine...