PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How to make 2nd side panel in Unity?

anpalcactus
July 3rd, 2013, 07:44 AM
Hey guys!
So I have 12.04LTS with left panel which is auto-hiding. I want one more panel on bottom which shouldn't auto-hide and thus i could place all my usable shortcuts there while running programs would show in the left one

Is there a way?
Some program, maybe?

Dozy Van
July 3rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
does this still work?

http://pietervogelaar.nl/ubuntu-11-04-add-bottom-panel-to-unity

anpalcactus
July 3rd, 2013, 10:02 PM
It works but the other way than i want :C
It adds a bottom panel which looks like Start in windows and shows opened windows. i want the panel pinned to desktop which wouldnt hide and show me just shortcuts

fooman
July 3rd, 2013, 10:43 PM
i just installed cairo-dock (its in the repos) and that seems to work pretty well with unity.
here is a screenshot of it running on my sysytem:

buzzingrobot
July 3rd, 2013, 11:10 PM
The Plank dock works well on Ubuntu and can be positioned to any side of the screen.

kurt18947
July 4th, 2013, 12:08 AM
You could look at tint2 panel as well, it's in the repositories. I use it in conjunction with gnome-shell, I find it better for switching between windows and apps than gnome-shell's native method. It works with unity too I believe. You need to configure it via a hidden .config file. I remove the clock for instance.

stinkeye
July 4th, 2013, 03:05 AM
Hey guys!
So I have 12.04LTS with left panel which is auto-hiding. I want one more panel on bottom which shouldn't auto-hide and thus i could place all my usable shortcuts there while running programs would show in the left one

Is there a way?
Some program, maybe?
Just use gnome-panel.
Use Super+alt+Right-click for customizing.

Super+alt+Right-click on panel and create new panel at the bottom if one is not shown.
Remove the top panel.
Remove unwanted items from the panel.
Drag n drop shortcuts from the dash to the panel.

anpalcactus
July 4th, 2013, 02:02 PM
i just installed cairo-dock (its in the repos) and that seems to work pretty well with unity.
here is a screenshot of it running on my sysytem:
Thank you so much!
I installed this panel and it does satisfy me in all the ways :)
Topic is now marked as [SOLVED]