PDA

View Full Version : Conky has a gui at last.

philinux
July 2nd, 2013, 09:13 PM
http://m.webupd8.org/2013/07/conky-manager-gui-for-managing-conky.html?m=1

Gonna try this when I get home.

ajgreeny
July 2nd, 2013, 11:34 PM
Just tried it.
Not sure it's for me. It does not seem to give you many display or content options, though I admit I have a fairly complicated .conkyrc configuration, and my conky window is a lot more detailed than I could figure out how to produce when trying out the GUI manager. See screenshot.

Perhaps I didn't give it enough of a proper try?

The Spectre
July 3rd, 2013, 10:52 AM
This is great, I have been wanting to get Conky set up on my System for quite a while but I haven't had the time (or patience) to go through the process of setting it up.

This will hopefully get me started.

I would eventually like to get it set up similar to VinDSL's Conky.

With any luck a similar Theme will be added or I will take the time to configure Conky to my liking...

http://vindsl.com/images/vindsl-cal9-1st-day-monday.png

Cheesemill
July 3rd, 2013, 12:41 PM
Bah.

This just takes all of the fun out of conkying :cool:

lykwydchykyn
July 3rd, 2013, 08:43 PM
Bah.

This just takes all of the fun out of conkying :cool:

As of this day, a stylish conky on the desktop is no longer a badge of l33tness :D

Frogs Hair
July 3rd, 2013, 09:05 PM
I'm pretty sure the application has been on pinguy os , but I don't know for how long.

ajgreeny
July 3rd, 2013, 11:29 PM
Perhaps I totally misunderstood how much this GUI manager can do.

It looks as if you still need to write a ~/.conkyrc or other config file to get any decent output in your conky window. Does the GUI just give you a theme or design and still need almost as much work on the details of the entries beneath the TEXT line?

I admit it, I'm baffled about what exactly it does for me.

su:bhatta
July 5th, 2013, 11:20 AM
this post got me interested in conky, again... :)

montag dp
July 5th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Perhaps I totally misunderstood how much this GUI manager can do.

It looks as if you still need to write a ~/.conkyrc or other config file to get any decent output in your conky window. Does the GUI just give you a theme or design and still need almost as much work on the details of the entries beneath the TEXT line?

I admit it, I'm baffled about what exactly it does for me.Looks like it gives you some basic themes and configuration options, so it will work okay if you want a fairly simple conky and like one of the available themes. If you like one of the themes, you can always add to it yourself to make it display more stuff.

ajgreeny
July 5th, 2013, 04:45 PM
Looks like it gives you some basic themes and configuration options, so it will work okay if you want a fairly simple conky and like one of the available themes. If you like one of the themes, you can always add to it yourself to make it display more stuff.

That's what I thought, but as I like a transparent normal window for my conky output and don't like the themes supplied by that GUI, I shall stick with what I have.

Buntu Bunny
July 5th, 2013, 09:48 PM
Interesting. Voyager (http://voyager.legtux.org/) has had a GUI for Conky for awhile now.

Glynnux
July 5th, 2013, 10:30 PM
Here's a simple conkyrc I adapted for my 1366x768 laptop.
It reveals all the important (to me) info at the bottom of the screen under my browser window.
Just requires Neuropolitical font installing (otherwise it will default to Sans)

zer010
July 6th, 2013, 11:58 PM
If this program creates it's own .conkyrc, then I'd like to see how it's configured. Could help me hash out a few things and help me to reconfigure the one I've had.

Snowhog
July 8th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Just tried it.
...I have a fairly complicated .conkyrc configuration,...
Would you mind sharing your .conkyrc file?

cradom
July 8th, 2013, 12:34 AM
There are more themes available... Instructions on how to get them under the vid.
Would imagine you could do your own theme and add it to the folder/manager.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imUdL8e5jvE

ajgreeny
July 8th, 2013, 09:33 PM
Would you mind sharing your .conkyrc file?

Very happy to do so.

It is probably only complicated when compared with those from the conky-manager package, but no matter; here it is as conkyrc.txt

Snowhog
July 8th, 2013, 10:22 PM
Very happy to do so.

It is probably only complicated when compared with those from the conky-manager package, but no matter; here it is as conkyrc.txt

Thank you. Your networking section has some things in it that I didn't know about.

ajgreeny
July 9th, 2013, 09:51 PM
Thank you. Your networking section has some things in it that I didn't know about.

Is that the vnstat part? I find it very useful to know how much I have downloaded, or more truthfully, I used to find it useful; not so much now with unlimited downloads, even though it is "subject to fair usage" whatever that may mean.

Snowhog
July 11th, 2013, 03:13 AM
Yes, vnstat. I have 'limited' download bandwidth, but it's substantial, and I never go over, plus, the unused bandwidth for the month is 'rolled over' to the next.

diazepamkit
July 11th, 2013, 02:08 PM
err i want to uninstall this any help?!
since i still begginer atm

i try using terminal but cant uninstall it

ajgreeny
July 12th, 2013, 12:28 AM
err i want to uninstall this any help?!
since i still begginer atm

i try using terminal but cant uninstall it

Uninstall what: conky?

sudo apt-get purge conky will do just that.

diazepamkit
July 12th, 2013, 04:17 AM
Uninstall what: conky?

sudo apt-get purge conky will do just that.

i mean this conky-manager.. i didnt like this app :(

zer010
July 12th, 2013, 06:29 AM

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get purge conky-manager && sudo apt-add-repository --remove ppa:teejee2008/ppa

^_^d

deadflowr
July 12th, 2013, 06:54 AM

Install ppa-purge.

diazepamkit
July 12th, 2013, 07:02 AM
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get purge conky-manager && sudo apt-add-repository --remove ppa:teejee2008/ppa

^_^d

well thanks a lot
:D

ajgreeny
July 12th, 2013, 09:44 PM
I almost always use synaptic for installing and removing applications. It is much more flexible than the software-centre, and by using Settings ->Repositories you can make any changes you want to the software-sources, including disabling or removing any enabled ppa repos.

synaptix
July 12th, 2013, 09:50 PM
Hooray! Think I'll go get this later tonight and play around with it.

ana551
July 14th, 2013, 10:44 AM
conky just never gets boring.....:D :D