PDA

View Full Version : grafic problem after installing Lubuntu 13.04

bengtolandin
July 2nd, 2013, 06:22 PM
I am new here, from Sweden!
After I have installed Lubuntu 13.04 (instead of Lubuntu 12.10) I can not look at swedish TV at <svtplay.se>. The screen get half an with a terrible grafic.
I have a screenshot, but do not know how to bring screenshot here! Is it possible?
bengtolandin

sudodus
July 2nd, 2013, 06:48 PM
Welcome to the Ubuntu Forums :-)

Sometimes the driver for a particular graphics chip is dropped when upgrading to a new version. This is unfortunate, but one solution is to stay with an old version. In you case I suggest that you go back to 12.10. That version has 18 months support while 13.04 has only 9 months, so 12.10 will be supported 3 months after end of life of 13.04. (This is due to a change in policy for the non-LTS versions.)

In general, I would recommend the LTS versions, but Lubuntu is a new member in the Ubuntu Family, and 14.04 to be released in April 2014 will probably be the first LTS version of Lubuntu.

-o-

You can attach a file with the tool at the bottom of the page when you go advanced (in editing your post). Or you can upload it somewhere and post a link to the uploaded file.

bengtolandin
July 4th, 2013, 09:31 PM
TACK Thank You very much. I solved the problem by installing 12.10 beside on the first HDD. 13.04 vas installed on the second HDD.
Now I am happy again - since I really enjoy Lubuntu. After having tested Ubuntu 12.10 Lubuntu is like flying, fast and easy.
By the way: Will this problem with Lubuntu 13.04 be sent to those who develop it? so that something can be done to avoid it in the future?

BeO

sudodus
July 4th, 2013, 10:01 PM
Kul att kunna hjälpa till :-)

Yes, Lubuntu is good for many computers, not only the oldest ones.

The developers seldom read the Ubuntu Forum threads, so you cannot expect them to find and react to your particular problem.

If you want the developers to be aware of your problem, you can report it as a bug at Launchpad. You should get a user id too, so that you can write comments about the bug manually. See this link for details.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/Bugs

But do not hope too much. If some old hardware is abandoned, it is not likely to be readopted again. The best option at the end of life of 12.10 (April 2014) might be to try either Xubuntu 12.04 LTS which will be supported until April 2015 or LXLE, a fork of Lubuntu. The developer of LXLE promises to support it through the whole LTS period of Ubuntu, that is until April 2017.

Of course you can also test if Lubuntu 13.10 and 14.04 will have working graphics drivers again, when they are released. 13.10 is at alpha testing stage now. It can be downloaded, but there will be a rough ride until it is released in October. If you are curious, you can check the graphics with a daily build from this link

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/daily-live/current/

Edit: What's the graphics chip/card?

bengtolandin
July 13th, 2013, 02:56 PM
I wonder if I will be able to install Lubuntu 13 correctly later. May be in oktober???
BeO :confused:

sudodus
July 14th, 2013, 07:08 AM
You can try Lubuntu 13.10 during its development phases (now alpha), and in October (when released) it will be reasonably stable. But I'm afraid that you'll have to stick to older versions, 12.04 or 12.10, because of the graphics.

What brand name and model is your graphics chip/card? Maybe there is a proprietary driver, that will work better.