PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Chinese input in keyboard layouts for Kubuntu

marklovescoffee
July 2nd, 2013, 01:49 PM
In Kubuntu (and KDE in general, I think) there is a keyboard control module that allows you to switch between keyboard layouts by pressing CTRL+ALT+K. I find this really convenient to switch between two of the language I use, Spanish and English.But I also want access to Chinese characters through "pinyin" (the writing system for Chinese on computer), and would really love it if I could switch to pinyin input through this menu automatically as easily as I can switch between Spanish and English. I found I can access pinyin through "ibus", but the method is really convoluted (I have to run the program, then press control+space to get pinyin, and even then it doesn't seem to be global, only working in the program I pressed it in). Instead, I'd love to be able to just press control+alt+K and switch to pinyin easily and globally (and without having to run any additional programs) If anyone knows how to do this or has a suggestion to lead me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.Lastly, I have attached a screen shot of the module (there is a Chinese flag there, but that only brings up English characters, not pinyin).