PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can I use Deja Dup backup files from Ubuntu 13.04 into Mint 15?

oktayahmed
June 30th, 2013, 02:35 PM
Hello,

This is my first post here :)

I am a longtime user of Ubuntu, but now I want to migrate to Linux Mint. You know, I am angry of Canonnical's shift from Gnome to Unity.

My questions is: Can I backup Home directory with Deja Dup under Ubuntu 13.04 (Gnome) and restore it under Mint 15?

Or, how to migrate to Mint and have all my documents (Home folder) from Ubuntu?

Thanks in advance.

Oktay

gordintoronto
July 1st, 2013, 01:30 AM
In Mint 13, Deja Dup is not installed by default, but is available from the Ubuntu repositories. Presumably this is also true in Mint 15.

I'm a simple guy, I would just copy my home folder to an external drive. Then, during installation, I would set up separate partitions for root (/) and home (/home).

This seems like an odd time to complain about Unity, it has become quite usable. (I have Ubuntu 13.04 installed under Virtualbox in Mint 13.)

oktayahmed
July 1st, 2013, 05:30 PM
I am using separate root (/) and /home partitions for years.

Hm, perhaps I should install the Mint 15 on a separate partition and try to use the same /home partition from Ubuntu 13.04.

But, I am not sure whether it'll work!? Of course, I don't even think to try to use the same folder for Ubuntu and for Mint at the same time :)

Any idea?

oktayahmed
July 1st, 2013, 05:32 PM
I am using separate root (/) and /home partitions for years.

Hm, perhaps I should install the Mint 15 on a separate partition and try to use the same /home partition from Ubuntu 13.04.

But, I am not sure whether it'll work!? Of course, I don't even think to try to use the same folder for Ubuntu and for Mint at the same time :) And, I'll, of course, delete all system folders from the /home (files from Ubuntu).

Any idea?

gordintoronto
July 2nd, 2013, 01:36 AM
Since Mint 15 is based on Ubuntu 13.04, they should be able to use the same /home partition. No guarantees, of course. There's always a possibility of a change to the format or content of a configuration file.

Just make sure you don't accidentally format the partition!

oktayahmed
July 2nd, 2013, 09:35 AM
After so many years of using Ubuntu on all of my computers, finally last night on my main computer I installed Mint 15. I didn't wanted to risk, so before that, I copied the /home folder to external disk.

For now, everything is just fine. As Mint is Ubuntu based, I feet 'at home', of course ;)

Thanks.