PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] warn me before system suspends?

Cybernetic1
June 30th, 2013, 03:53 AM
I am using Lubuntu, I set the system to suspend when I'm idle for 20 mins (in Preference -> Power Manager -> Xfce Power Manager -> On AC power supply).

But I want the system to make a sound during the 19th minute to warn me that it is soon going into suspension. What is the simplest way to do that?

Thanks! :D

buzzingrobot
June 30th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Can't help you with that. But, if it's occasionally preventing the system from suspending that you're after, look at an app called "caffeine".

amjjawad
June 30th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I am using Lubuntu, I set the system to suspend when I'm idle for 20 mins (in Preference -> Power Manager -> Xfce Power Manager -> On AC power supply).

But I want the system to make a sound during the 19th minute to warn me that it is soon going into suspension. What is the simplest way to do that?

Thanks! :D

Hello and welcome to Ubuntu Forums and thank you for choosing and using Lubuntu :)

I'm a member of Lubuntu Team and we have discussed the issue of having "sounds" on Lubuntu so many time in the past (on the mailing list and other channels as well) but I don't mind at all to share the information yet again :)

Lubuntu is the lightweight of Ubuntu and adding sound whether at the beginning when you login to your desktop or when you shutdown or what you are asking to have, is not going to happen by default. This has been proved to use more system resources and because our aim is to provide as lightweight system as possible, we can't do it by default :)

However, if the user is willing to do that him/her self, that is totally different story.

I have seen some threads about that in the past so a simple search might give you what you are looking for. But, if you ask me, I don't think this is possible. But that is just me.

On the other hand, may I ask why you want that? why to suspend the system after 20mins anyway? I just don't understand the logic behind that?

Thank you!