PDA

View Full Version : problems when trying to upgrade

rizos
June 29th, 2013, 11:09 PM
when i try sudo apt-get upgrade i get this message and cant install anything at all.

The following packages will be REMOVED:
linux-image-3.2.0-43-generic-pae
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 1 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
After this operation, 113 MB disk space will be freed.

(Reading database ... 202946 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing linux-image-3.2.0-43-generic-pae ...
Examining /etc/kernel/postrm.d .
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/initramfs-tools 3.2.0-43-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-43-generic-pae
update-initramfs: Deleting /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-43-generic-pae
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-extlinux 3.2.0-43-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-43-generic-pae
P: Checking for EXTLINUX directory... found.
P: Writing config for /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-48-generic-pae...
P: Writing config for /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-45-generic-pae...
/usr/sbin/extlinux-update: 328: /usr/sbin/extlinux-update: tr: not found
P: Installing debian theme... done.
run-parts: executing /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub 3.2.0-43-generic-pae /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-43-generic-pae
Generating grub.cfg ...
/etc/grub.d/10_linux: 35: /etc/grub.d/10_linux: tr: not found
Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-48-generic-pae
/etc/grub.d/10_linux: 1: /etc/grub.d/10_linux: tr: not found
run-parts: /etc/kernel/postrm.d/zz-update-grub exited with return code 127
Failed to process /etc/kernel/postrm.d at /var/lib/dpkg/info/linux-image-3.2.0-43-generic-pae.postrm line 328.
dpkg: error processing linux-image-3.2.0-43-generic-pae (--remove):
subprocess installed post-removal script returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
linux-image-3.2.0-43-generic-pae
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

DeathByDenim
June 29th, 2013, 11:53 PM
It can't find the command "tr"? That's pretty odd. What happens when you type this in the terminal:

which tr

Also, you can try this to fix apt with this command:

sudo apt-get -f install
, but it might just spew out the same errors again.

rizos
June 30th, 2013, 12:17 AM
which tr... brings nothing.

and sudo apt-get -f install, brings the same errors over and over.

last thing i was doing before this issue was the ubuntu tewak, janitor tool to removoe old kernel.

since then no way to fix it.

DeathByDenim
June 30th, 2013, 01:28 AM
Hmm, yeah. "tr" is kind of essential for the post-remove script. "tr" is usually located in /usr/bin. Can you still find it there?

It's part of the coreutils package, so maybe reinstalling that will help. Is it still possible to do

apt-get install --reinstall coreutils
or will apt-get refuse to do that?

rizos
June 30th, 2013, 01:52 AM
tr is not on /usb/bin folder...

and apt-get install --reinstall coreutils wont work, it does not let me install anything at all.

DeathByDenim
June 30th, 2013, 02:00 PM
You can try downloading the coreutils package manually from http://packages.ubuntu.com/precise-updates/coreutils (assuming you were using 12.04 precise, you can select your distribution on the top of the page)
On that page you need to click on either amd64 if you have a 64-bit operating system or i386 otherwise.
Then install it by typing

sudo dpkg -i coreutils_8.13-3ubuntu3.2_amd64.deb
(or coreutils_8.13-3ubuntu3.2_i386.deb for 32-bit)

It sounds like your system is rather messed up though, so you might want to consider doing a fresh reinstall.

rizos
July 1st, 2013, 02:14 AM
i was trying to make a fresh install and by mistake i did got to install ubuntu deleting all the disk, fortunately i was able to rescue the partition table via testdisk, i had dual windows7/ubuntu 12.04. i can see my files via sudo ecryptfs-recover-private. but there is no way i can copy them into a usb so i can reinstall and get my pc working again (says i dont have the permission to copy such files). i had a partition for windows 7, a partition just for ubuntu OS, another for swap and last one for all my files (music. photos etc etc). i tried to fix the MBR for windows via Boot-repair and got mess some how as i cant bring the windows partiton back. and the regular ubuntu partition wont work, keep telling me something about monitor resolution and cant go any further. so my files are there, i know the partition table is there. how can i bring back the system as it was, so later on i can re-install ubuntu on the partition for the OS.

any help will be extremely appreciated.

here is the full out put of partition table via boot repair. http://paste.ubuntu.com/5815124/

DeathByDenim
July 1st, 2013, 03:26 AM
Ah, so your files were encrypted then?
Do you use the live-CD to boot your system now?
And then you run sudo ecryptfs-recover-private to get at your files again?
I have never used ecryptfs before, but according to the help, it mounts the encrypted files and makes them accessible in a temporary directory, in the form of /tmp/ecryptfs.XXXXXXXX.
But when you try to copy from there, you get access denied? Did you try copying it to a USB stick using sudo?

rizos
July 1st, 2013, 03:37 AM
ecrypted files? yes
use live cd? yes
ecryptfs-recover-private? yes
i try getting the files with sudo nautilus then going to /tmp/ecryptfs.XXXXXXXX. and i have access to my files, theya re there all of them, but when i copy the files and try to paste them/drag-drop to another folder in another usb it says i dont have the permissions.

is there a way to make the partition come back and be recognized by gparte and ubuntu?.

hope i can get my files back.

DeathByDenim
July 1st, 2013, 04:44 PM
Ah, I see. Maybe the files are only readable for root. In that case you won't be able to copy them using drag-and-drop. Can you try

sudo cp -r /tmp/ecryptfs.XXXXXXXX /media/usb
where you need to replace /media/usb with the directory where you mounted your usb stick?

rizos
July 1st, 2013, 05:08 PM
cp: cannot create directory `/media/cdrom/ecryptfs.0kyUSFWb': Read-only file system

this is what i get running the command.

rizos
July 1st, 2013, 05:09 PM
cp: cannot create directory `/media/cdrom/ecryptfs.0kyUSFWb': Read-only file system

this is what i get with the command.

DeathByDenim
July 1st, 2013, 11:59 PM
It looks like you are trying to copy your data to a CD? That's indeed not possible. I thought you were trying to copy it to a usb stick. /media/cdrom usually refers to the cd-player.
When you plug in the USB stick, you can look at the contents, right? What does this command say then:

ls -l /media
?

rizos
July 2nd, 2013, 01:48 AM
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6 Jul 1 19:44 cdrom -> /cdrom

this is the out put... but also the cdrom is where usb stickis mounted, i try to copy to a usb no doubt.

DeathByDenim
July 2nd, 2013, 02:46 AM
Wow, that's weird. Can you create files at /media/cdrom ? It sounds like the problem is not with ecrypt giving unreadable files, but with your destination being read-only.

rizos
July 2nd, 2013, 02:48 AM
i cannot!... how can i change the destination read only mode

rizos
July 2nd, 2013, 03:06 AM
finally i work it out, sudo su then nautilus surf to media which is a usb stick and then i was able to copy my files, have no idea why the other usb stick was read only. now i think i will have to do a whole new install on my system, this is the odd part gparted wont reconize any partition at all, but when i start up pc it gives me the option to boot into windows 7 or ubutntu, ubuntu is completely broken and it wont load, windows by the other hand loads pretty normal, how can i install ubuntu on the partition designtaed for with out loosing windows 7 partition, gparted shows one 500gb unallocated space and ubuntu live cd only shows delete entire disk option.

DeathByDenim
July 2nd, 2013, 03:16 AM
Doesn't the Ubuntu installer show something like this ( http://blog.gambliser.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/install-ubuntu-12-04-3.jpeg ) though?
If you choose "Something else", I think you should be able to choose the unallocated space.

rizos
July 3rd, 2013, 09:06 AM
yes it does then it shows 500 gb of free space, i did manage to get my files back and do a fresh install.