PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu needs a name change

poofyhairguy
March 23rd, 2005, 06:25 AM
-Move this is you need to Mods

I was trying to download Kubuntu today and I noticed that the ISOs look EXACTLY like the regular Ubuntu ISOs. I like the name Kubuntu, but the releases need a separate name from the Ubuntu releases to minimize confusion (and liability for Ubuntu devs- people will think its supported project).

Instead of boys (like Ubuntu) how about girls! Just make sure they start with the same letter. Warty's Kubuntu should have been Wanda. Instead of Hoary, the ISOs should be called Holly, Hope, or Hova (an african name I looked up).

Its SO confusing now! Separate the brands! KDE is more femine anyway (I mean that in a really good way).

Please!

bored2k
March 23rd, 2005, 06:38 AM
-Move this is you need to Mods

I was trying to download Kubuntu today and I noticed that the ISOs look EXACTLY like the regular Ubuntu ISOs. I like the name Kubuntu, but the releases need a separate name from the Ubuntu releases to minimize confusion (and liability for Ubuntu devs- people will think its supported project).

Instead of boys (like Ubuntu) how about girls! Just make sure they start with the same letter. Warty's Kubuntu should have been Wanda. Instead of Hoary, the ISOs should be called Holly, Hope, or Hova (an african name I looked up).

Its SO confusing now! Separate the brands! KDE is more femine anyway (I mean that in a really good way).

Please!
Yeah I had to triple check to download the files, they were all
hoary-live-i386 or something .

Boys n Girls would be good [like StyleXP's male and female installs], but several people would get offended by this.

poofyhairguy
March 23rd, 2005, 06:42 AM
Boys n Girls would be good [like StyleXP's male and female installs], but several people would get offended by this.

Really? Someone would get offended? Damn, that makes me sad...

I thought it sounded cute, but I guess there I some shoes I can't get in...

TravisNewman
March 23rd, 2005, 06:55 AM
Dunno how thats offensive-- males and females are equally represented.

Though I don't know how Hoary, Warty, Grumpy, and Bendy are boys names.

poofyhairguy
March 23rd, 2005, 07:06 AM

Well, I don't know a single girl that would want to be called hoary...

bored2k
March 23rd, 2005, 07:06 AM
Dunno how thats offensive-- males and females are equally represented.

Ok lets say
GNOME boys
KDE girls

Some gnome-fan jerk would eventually say "KDE's for p______/f_____" and , etc .. I know people who would say that .

poofyhairguy
March 23rd, 2005, 07:13 AM
Ok lets say
GNOME boys
KDE girls

Some gnome-fan jerk would eventually say "KDE's for p______/f_____" and , etc .. I know people who would say that .

Aww. People say that about OSX right now. Doesn't stop many industries from depending on it, and many pale nerds from flaunting their new macs (even Linus himself)....

If people want to say negative things, then nothing will stop then. Whats keeping people from saying other nasty things. If people want to act immature than let them.

When I think of women I thing of endurance and dependability (and many other good things). If people see girl names as negative, then they have bigger problems than Kubuntu! (someone hates mommy :( )

I hope not to offend.

bored2k
March 23rd, 2005, 07:18 AM
Aww. People say that about OSX right now. Doesn't stop many industries from depending on it, and many pale nerds from flaunting their new macs (even Linus himself)....

If people want to say negative things, then nothing will stop then. Whats keeping people from saying other nasty things. If people want to act immature than let them.

When I think of women I thing of endurance and dependability (and many other good things). If people see girl names as negative, then they have bigger problems than Kubuntu! (someone hates mommy :( )

I hope not to offend.
I understand your point, and I agree, but boy-girl thing when talking about an Environment is sort of weird. Why not names that actually "look" like them. LIke gnome=sane [organized and stuff] , kde=hangover [all wacky] ^_^ .

az
March 23rd, 2005, 12:34 PM
If gnome is male and kde is female, what is Icewm and Xfce?

Blackbox?

defkewl
March 23rd, 2005, 12:46 PM
Hey that's sounds like a fantastic idea. Brilliant

jdong
March 23rd, 2005, 12:51 PM
It's a great idea, but I don't like KDE representing the girls....

I'm heavily pro-KDE, but I still believe this kind of distinction is great to have.

totalshredder
March 23rd, 2005, 02:49 PM
Excellent idea!! This should definitely implemented!!

lerrup
March 23rd, 2005, 03:04 PM
I am afraid I think that it will only confuse people further and make people think that there really is a fork between Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

The fact is, how often does anyone apart from high-churn distro changers have to download an .iso? Surely, the point is that once you have the begger installed then you just keep on upgrading.

If you want to make sure that people are not confused wouldn't it be easier to just link to the Ubuntu .isos from one link and to the Kubuntu ones from another?

MDJ2000
March 23rd, 2005, 03:59 PM
Blasphemer! Just kidding ;)

Linus has a Mac desktop, but he's not using OSX, he's running Linux on it.

poofyhairguy
March 23rd, 2005, 09:56 PM
I am afraid I think that it will only confuse people further and make people think that there really is a fork between Ubuntu and Kubuntu.

Well the thing is that, there IS a difference. If I want kubuntu I don't want the Ubuntu ISO and vise versa. This is better for the Ubuntu devs, because now someone can mistake their "supported" work with "unsupported" Kubuntu work BECAUSE THE ISOS LOOK THE SAME!!!!

The fact is, how often does anyone apart from high-churn distro changers have to download an .iso? Surely, the point is that once you have the begger installed then you just keep on upgrading.

Well people have to download it the first time. And A LOT !!!!!!! of new people are going to come to Ubuntu when Kubuntu releases who ignored it before because of Gnome. For those people (that don't want Ubuntu at all) it is only fair to at least call the ISO something different.

If you want to make sure that people are not confused wouldn't it be easier to just link to the Ubuntu .isos from one link and to the Kubuntu ones from another?

Thats what they do. But when you go to that page, there is nothing that says "Kubuntu ISOs." All people see is Ubuntu's ISOs, Hoary.

It makes sense to me...

poofyhairguy
March 23rd, 2005, 09:57 PM

I'm heavily pro-KDE, but I still believe this kind of distinction is great to have.

Sure. Forget the girl thing. Or not.

Just do something. Please Kubuntuns. :x

kassetra
March 23rd, 2005, 10:20 PM

Yeah, and I don't like KDE representing girls either... I'm personally pro-Gnome and why on this planet would I want KDE to represent me? (heh. ;) )

I've personally thought that Kubuntu should be Kava, Kona, or something else other than "Ubuntu with a K" ....

somuchfortheafter
March 23rd, 2005, 10:23 PM
Yeah, and I don't like KDE representing girls either... I'm personally pro-Gnome and why on this planet would I want KDE to represent me? (heh. ;) )

I've personally thought that Kubuntu should be Kava, Kona, or something else other than "Ubuntu with a K" ....
how about
the distro
seriously think of how many great things came out of using the word the
the beatles
the cranberries
the hives
the madonnas
ok those are all musicians
the thing
the stuff
lol

jdodson
March 23rd, 2005, 10:49 PM
i personally think if kubuntu needs a new name it should be moonchild.

or at least thats what i came up with while i was hanging out in my old grade schools abandoned attic whilst reading a magical book that had two snakes on the cover. :roll:

kassetra
March 24th, 2005, 12:00 AM
i personally think if kubuntu needs a new name it should be moonchild.

or at least thats what i came up with while i was hanging out in my old grade schools abandoned attic whilst reading a magical book that had two snakes on the cover. :roll:

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I LOVE THAT MOVIE!

Is that what he freaking says?! After all these years, her new name was "moonchild" ...? That was his mother's name?!

jdodson
March 24th, 2005, 12:37 AM
WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA I LOVE THAT MOVIE!

Is that what he freaking says?! After all these years, her new name was "moonchild" ...? That was his mother's name?!

yeah. someone told me though, cause i could not understand him when he yelled it either.

poofyhairguy
March 24th, 2005, 12:50 AM

I can see that this topic is like pizza topings:

No two people can agree!

Ironi
March 24th, 2005, 01:08 AM
How about "Ubuntuk" (KDE) and "Ubuntug" (GNOME)? ;) I have no idea what they might mean/imply in other languages, though.

BWF89
March 24th, 2005, 01:14 AM
Linus bought a Mac so he could install Linux or BSD on a computer more reliable than a PC right?

I can see that this topic is like pizza topings:
Green peppers are the best pizza topping.

somuchfortheafter
March 24th, 2005, 04:11 AM
liar the roni is the best

totalshredder
March 24th, 2005, 05:00 AM
Linus bought a Mac so he could install Linux or BSD on a computer more reliable than a PC right?

Actually, he was given a mac, so he said used it for linux :o

On the subject of best pizza topping (can you say Off Topic 8-[ ). I totally have to go with Mushrooms there. But lets get off of that.

TravisNewman
March 24th, 2005, 05:24 AM
1. what's wrong with Linus using MacOSX? Whether he is or not, why are so many people acting terrified? "Oh it's not free software!" Whatever. Not everyone uses solely free software. I try my darndest to only use Free Software, but not everybody feels the way I do, including Linus, and that opinion must also be respected. Linus himself uses a non-free application to track kernel source development, because it works better than the free alternatives. Now, if Richard Stallman were using non-free software, I'd be shocked.

2. Ubuntug/Ubuntuk? Nah, that doesn't flow well. Course I never liked Kubuntu either. Quite unoriginal.

3. Fantastic movie jdodson

4. I've changed my mind since my first reply here. I think it still needs to be called hoary, since it's based on hoary. That will keep it much more sane. However, SOMETHING should be done to distinguish it. It's like the Ford Focus. They have 3 versions, but lets just say they have 2, for the sake of argument. They call the hatchback the Ford Focus, then they call the Wagon the Ford Hurricane (or something else). That doesn't make sense, since they're both the same concept, just with a couple changes. But yes, that being said, something needs to change to better distinguish the Kubuntu isos.

NeoChaosX
March 24th, 2005, 08:57 AM
Considering this started over the naming of the ISOs, wouldn't a better idea just be to reanme the files themselves, and not change the naming schemes for Ubuntu itself? Like ubuntu-hoary-preview.iso and kubuntu-hoary-preview.iso, for instance.

Suggesting an entire brand overhaul just because the files aren't named properly is like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly.

poofyhairguy
March 24th, 2005, 10:17 AM
Considering this started over the naming of the ISOs, wouldn't a better idea just be to reanme the files themselves, and not change the naming schemes for Ubuntu itself? Like ubuntu-hoary-preview.iso and kubuntu-hoary-preview.iso, for instance.

Suggesting an entire brand overhaul just because the files aren't named properly is like using a sledgehammer to swat a fly.

very sane idea.

josiah
March 24th, 2005, 12:46 PM
why not use zen linux (http://www.zenlinux.org/drupal/) as an example? the names of the iso's are ZenLinux_v1.1_Core.iso, ZenLinux_v1.1_Gnome.iso, and ZenLinux_v1.1_KDE.iso. they are all zen linux, just with different guis on top. i've never used zen, but i like the way they deal with naming.

lao_V
March 24th, 2005, 01:07 PM
I'm really amazed why this hasn't been thought of beforehand by the devs? I know hoary is still in development/preview stage but the naming structure would have been one of the first things to be sorted out!

jwb
March 24th, 2005, 09:01 PM
How about "Playskool Linux".

Or "Shiny Blue Plastic Linux".

Or "Where are the freakin' settings for this stuff" Linux.

Or "Cha-Cha, The Alpaca of Love".

poofyhairguy
March 24th, 2005, 09:46 PM
I'm really amazed why this hasn't been thought of beforehand by the devs? I know hoary is still in development/preview stage but the naming structure would have been one of the first things to be sorted out!

Kubuntu has come a long way in a short time.

Its coo....

wk1989
March 25th, 2005, 12:59 AM
why not use zen linux (http://www.zenlinux.org/drupal/) as an example? the names of the iso's are ZenLinux_v1.1_Core.iso, ZenLinux_v1.1_Gnome.iso, and ZenLinux_v1.1_KDE.iso. they are all zen linux, just with different guis on top. i've never used zen, but i like the way they deal with naming.
Exactly, why bother with new names when you can just add a word?

lao_V
March 25th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Kubuntu has come a long way in a short time.

Its coo....
It might have come a long way (specially in popularity) in a short time but it lacks some fundamental features you might have come to expect from other distro. Unless a descision was made not to take that path.

jwb
March 25th, 2005, 04:03 PM
I still think "Cha-Cha the Alpaca of love" would get more attention......

Great marketing fodder. An amorous Andean beastie, seeking romance......

poofyhairguy
March 25th, 2005, 11:02 PM
It might have come a long way (specially in popularity) in a short time but it lacks some fundamental features you might have come to expect from other distro. Unless a descision was made not to take that path.

Such as what? GUI configuration things like Mandrake Control Center or Yast? Those will never be made for Kubuntu, like Ubuntu the devs plan to use KDE native tools. Not closed stuff.

If you are talking about polish and default configuration than I agree. Why Kubuntu doesn't have pmount installed so that pen drive pop up on your desktop is beyond me!