PDA

View Full Version : Making a custom Ubuntu for SAT a good idea? Pls do read the intro!

TheDJ0014
June 27th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Hey guys i am currently a student in India. I will prepare for SAT s and its Indian equivalents(quite a bit of my effort and time goes here) in the coming future. But the thing is I really love Linux and felt like making my own via opensuse, Linux from scratch etc but i am afraid it will take to much of my time. Then it occurred to me will a custom Linux/Ubuntu give me that shine when they go through my application for college? I will get a decent score like 2100+.
If anyone thinks it helps i was aiming to mix backtrack/Kali with Ubuntu which should be the real challenge or something like that which should make me stand out.

So what are your views and give some suggestions even if you don't think its a good idea and yeah please suggest fast as i have to convince my parents its worth it :)

SirGuineaPig
June 27th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Do you want to make this new distro entirely from scratch? It takes lots and LOTS of programming experience and technical knowledge to even try such a project.
Here's an article on budding OS development:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/627095/can-a-whole-operating-system-be-written-without-using-even-one-line-of-c-c-cod

And here's one of Linux distro development:
http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-build-your-own-linux-distro

I'm not trying to be discouraging, but unless you have extensive programming knowledge, don't even bother trying.

mastablasta
June 27th, 2013, 07:36 AM
what exactly do you plan to achieve by mixing the two? as i understand backtrakc was already based on ubutnu there is backbox os or something like that that is like Kali only ubuntu based. i am not sure what you really plan to do. remaster Ubuntu? create yet another ubuntu based distro? or what?

Paqman
June 27th, 2013, 08:35 AM
Concentrate on your exams first and foremost, if you still have time for other projects after that then do what you like.

TheDJ0014
June 27th, 2013, 11:21 AM
My aim in life is to become a computer security expert and a general computer programmer and. And i know that when american colleges look at my application they will know that instant that i know what i want to do and i am already moving in that direction so it would be a good idea to accept this kid into their college. For the software side i am already done with c/c++ and have written basic apllication.

I am not just doing this for SAT i am doing this to make an ultimate OS which combines the capability of penetration of blacktrack/kali with the productivity and ease of use of ubuntu. So that me and others like me can have: 1 os to rule them all
Apart from that please comment if you think this will create ant impact on the college application reviewers that is what i want to know first i will still make the os but probably wont be very thorough.

TheDJ0014
June 27th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Guys I love the help and links provided but i am still kinda stuck will doing this get me any recognition at all when the college review board read my application? will it have any weight at all to make them think the kid knows what he is doing or will it just be like okay he knows something about Linux next!

3rdalbum
June 27th, 2013, 11:57 AM
Sorry. It is too easy to make a custom Ubuntu, it won't impress the college. Teach yourself computer programming and write a program - that's a better bet. Or contribute a new feature to an existing program, and keep a diary explaining how you did it and what problems you came up against.

Bucky Ball
June 27th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Sorry. It is too easy to make a custom Ubuntu, it won't impress the college. Teach yourself computer programming and write a program - that's a better bet. Or contribute a new feature to an existing program, and keep a diary explaining how you did it and what problems you came up against.

Yep, reflection goes down well. Keep a record as you go and also try to include some of your thinking and observations. Writing a small app/program is a great and better idea. Maybe something that will run in Linux so you get to (indirectly, modestly and without making a big point of it) demonstrate you have Ubuntu/Linux skills in the process. I've done this before, right? ;)

TheDJ0014
June 28th, 2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks guys for the replies! I should have stressed on this more but i know programming c/c++ and currently practicing python. Already making an app for windows(not windows phone).
I was just wondering if it could make any more difference plus i am still gonna make that custom linux so adios!