PDA

View Full Version : Lotus Notes ... Not well recieved?

brentoboy
July 14th, 2006, 06:00 PM
http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/battles/group_aaebhadfhf_ia/

there it is, the "linux community" lashes out at ibm for offereing a lotus notes client.

a nice lotus notes client is all some businesses were waiting for to move their workstations to linux. it is the microsoft exchange killer for people who are honestly interested in switching to linux.

I cant figure out how, just becuase it isnt open source it has to recieve so much backlash. honestly, there is nothing wrong with using a proprietart app when their isnt an open source one that competes at the same caliber.

now I know why photoshop for linux hasnt been written. for all thier hard work, all adobe would get is a thankless: "get out of our world" what a shame.

is that the opinion of only a few loud zealots? or is that the general fealing among linux users? What do you guys think?

T700
July 14th, 2006, 06:08 PM
I too was really disappointed to read the reaction on Slashdot and in other places. It reminds me of the pointless M$ and ******* nonsense I see in so many posts. Almost like children, afraid to speak out loud the name of the bogey man.

The Lotus Notes opportunity is huge for our community. If it goes well, other mainstream software producers may see the success and throw some support behind Linux.

Paul

Castar
July 14th, 2006, 06:10 PM
I think commercial applications are very important and needed if Linux wants to be a mainstream OS. So yes, it is a good move and a pure (that is non-M$ infested) area, even though there are already some decent projects doing the same things with Lotus.

But it's true, it has been a relatively lukewarm reception. Maybe because IBM released it so late... I don't know. Still a positive step.

kabus
July 14th, 2006, 06:52 PM
http://www.emailbattles.com/archive/battles/group_aaebhadfhf_ia/

there it is, the "linux community" lashes out at ibm for offereing a lotus notes client.

I already knew that internet tech news hacks love to report nonexisting controversies, but it must be a really slow news day if they have to pass off /. trolls as "the Linux community".

Brunellus
July 14th, 2006, 07:44 PM
I think there are two "communities" involved.

One is the Gemeinschaft--the community--which, normatively, wants Free (both beer and speech). This is the community that self-identifies as Linux users. Reputation matters here. If you have a strong opinion on RMS or Theo de Radt or Linus, you belong here.

The other is the Gesellschaft--the system, or in this case, I'll call it the INDUSTRY. They are less concerned with the normative values of the community, but are still constrained by rather impersonal regulations (license agreements, positive legislation, etc).

Many members of "the community" are in the industry, but not everyone in the industry is really in "the community." The resentment directed against the industry is coming from those members of the community not interested in the industry.

G Morgan
July 14th, 2006, 07:58 PM
Amazing we've gone from condemning those that don't port to linux to condemding those that do.

gruvsyco
July 14th, 2006, 08:00 PM
I have no problems with commercial apps on Linux, hell, I'll even support them when I can but... I hated Notes when I had to use it at my last job.

Lord Illidan
July 14th, 2006, 08:09 PM
Ah well.

I hope IBM takes no notice of slashdot, that's all I can say. The more professional commercial apps in Linux, the better. Also, it might provide an incentive for opensource apps to smarten up.

mips
July 14th, 2006, 08:29 PM
This is just bs. Linux needs all the support it can get, be it OSS or commercial. This is a good thing for linux, the more commercial apps we get the better. I mean the most wanted app on linux is photoshop i think according to the redhat survey. Now if adobe releases a linux version is this the reponse they are goin to get.

As a company I like IBM, not saying they are perfect but they are big into OSS, linux/unix.

You can never please everybody.

Maybe we should repond to the slahdot article and speak about the good/benefits.

The one thing I HATE about linux is the zealots, they do more harm than good.

Brunellus
July 14th, 2006, 08:33 PM
This is just bs. Linux needs all the support it can get, be it OSS or commercial. This is a good thing for linux, the more commercial apps we get the better. I mean the most wanted app on linux is photoshop i think according to the redhat survey. Now if adobe releases a linux version is this the reponse they are goin to get.

As a company I like IBM, not saying they are perfect but they are big into OSS, linux/unix.

You can never please everybody.

Maybe we should repond to the slahdot article and speak about the good/benefits.

The one thing I HATE about linux is the zealots, they do more harm than good.
the /. flamers are not the intended market for this. The intended market is their bosses.

T700
July 14th, 2006, 08:36 PM
the /. flamers are not the intended market for this. The intended market is their bosses.

Truer words were never spoken.

Paul

mips
July 14th, 2006, 08:52 PM

Very true, but they still do harm.

Something in the line of "the squeeky wheel gets oiled..."

brentoboy
July 14th, 2006, 08:53 PM
I just hope blizzard doesnt see this and shy away from making a world of warcraft port. or a diablo 5 port (or whatever the next diablo version is...)

bruce89
July 14th, 2006, 08:54 PM
What I wonder is what RMS has to say about it, if anything.

Personally, it's fine, but I wouldn't use it anyway.

kripkenstein
July 14th, 2006, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure it's much harm. The managers see they can move to Linux desktops instead of to Vista, and pay 0$ for the OS - they won't care about a few comments on Slashdot. If all they want is to run Lotus Notes, and now they don't need to buy Windows to do that, the money will talk.

G Morgan
July 14th, 2006, 08:56 PM
What I wonder is what RMS has to say about it, if anything.

Personally, it's fine, but I wouldn't use it anyway.

If I was him I'd be pleased, corperate options would boost community efforts to replace them. What needs to be done is this must be seen as a challenge and an opportunity.