PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want to help me with a new name for my band?

Moose
June 27th, 2013, 03:56 AM
Hello guys, I'm a vocalist/bass player in a Hardcore band called Sepulcher. We used to be a deathcore band, hence the morbid name. However, we have decided to move away from the Death Metal/Deathcore genre and go to hardcore (like The Amity Affliction, La Dispute, Anarbor, Touche Amore, Being As An Ocean).
And we can't think of a suitable name for the band. Can anybody suggest a decent name?

Any inappropriate suggestions will be reported promptly.

Thanks to anyone who takes the time to suggest a name.

Much love from the members at Sepulcher. c:

Paqman
June 27th, 2013, 06:54 AM
Whatever you call it, you'll never find one as cool as Dr Teeth and the Electric Mayhem.

deadflowr
June 27th, 2013, 07:36 AM

How 'bout The Infractions?

Moose
June 27th, 2013, 08:18 AM

How 'bout The Infractions?

I can't tell if you're serious or not..
However, although it's a decent attempt, I am not very keen for names that have "The <insertwhatwearesupposedly>" in it. Something unique is what we are looking for.

coldraven
June 27th, 2013, 10:11 AM
Zweiter Gang

See: http://translate.google.co.uk/#auto/de/second

tartalo
June 27th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Hardcore.. hard core.. OH! I KNOW!
http://imgur.com/BXbIFY9

Frogs Hair
June 27th, 2013, 07:56 PM
Song titles from bands that have had an influence on your music are fertile ground for band names.

compiledkernel
June 27th, 2013, 08:36 PM
Petrified HeadLight Bambi.

Thats all Ive got.

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 27th, 2013, 09:01 PM
Petrified HeadLight Bambi.

That brings back some very old memories.

:lolflag:

compiledkernel
June 27th, 2013, 09:07 PM
That brings back some very old memories.

:lolflag:

And those would be?

Old_Grey_Wolf
June 27th, 2013, 09:27 PM
And those would be?

When the band I was in decades ago had our first large audience, our singer looked at all the people in the room and froze like a “deer in the headlights”. We were going to do Proud Mary. I am a base and sound like a toad-frog in a well. Even though I never sang in the band, I sang the base part of the song which is the only words I actually knew -- “rollin', rollin', rollin' on the river”. When I was finished the singer had come out of the stage-fright. I think that me actually doing something other that sitting on my stool playing my instrument was more shocking than the audience.

odiseo77
June 27th, 2013, 09:36 PM
I am not very keen for names that have "The <insertwhatwearesupposedly>" in it.

It's a shame since I was going to suggest "The no-names" or something similar :) Anyway, being hardcore protest music (or so I think), what about something like "Furious mushroom", "Enraged mushroom", etc.? (English is not my mother tongue so I'm not sure which sounds better for a native speaker, but something along the previous suggestions).

TNFrank
June 27th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Funny what you can dig up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9COpHXS7p_k
I've played guitar for most of my life and bass, off and on for about the last 15 years. I'm mostly into Thrash Metal (Megadeth, Metallica,) Prog Metal(Dream Theater) and Classic Rock but anything that Rocks gets my attention.
I've almost gotten a couple bands started over the years and it seems that the hardest thing to do is come up with a good, original sounding name. Seems like all the cool ones are taken. I think this is one of those times when you're going to just have to get the band together and drink a few to get into a creative mood then just write down anything and everything that comes to mind. A couple days later look at the list and see if anything stands out.
Heck, sometimes names even happen by accident. Led Zepplin got their name when some guy told them that their band would go over like, well a Lead Zeplin, they changed up the spelling a bit an BINGO, they got a killer name. Megadeth got their name from a comment that a guy made after the Atomic Bomb came into being and coined the term for when more then a million people would be killed in a Atomic Blast. Once again, they changed up the spelling a bit and there you have it, another killer name. I'm sure you'll eventually come up with something. Keep the faith brother and keep on Rockin' :KS

compiledkernel
June 28th, 2013, 12:06 AM
Cattle Decapitation , The County Medical Examiners, and General Surgery are all taken, so you cant use those.

Moose
June 28th, 2013, 12:32 AM
Song titles from bands that have had an influence on your music are fertile ground for band names.

+1
Best suggestion so far, I was actually looking through my playlists last night for a decent song name. This is probably how I am going to choose a name.

Moose
June 28th, 2013, 02:07 AM
Funny what you can dig up on YouTube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9COpHXS7p_k

That's one of the other reasons we wanted to change name. We didn't actually know there was another band by the name of Sepulcher. That and the fact that people thought we were trying to imitate Sepultura. Which is crap, because we actually got the idea of the name 'Sepulcher' from Skyrim.. ;)

VinDSL
June 28th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Thanks to anyone who takes the time to suggest a name.

How about "In Before The Lock" A.K.A. IB4TL

DESTROID was already taken...

http://youtu.be/wGPOxs3HfKw

houseworkshy
June 28th, 2013, 02:36 AM
Hard core metal, no "The" ,ok how about "Dystopia". If not liked ( or used already ) maybe go through a thesaurus looking for words which resonate with your work and see if anything synonomous and unused sounds good. I like one word names for bands, more dramatic somehow.

thnewguy
June 28th, 2013, 03:03 AM
Inconveniently Real. Or swap out "real" for another word. Inconveniently Raw, perhaps? I definitely like "inconveniently <something>"

TNFrank
June 28th, 2013, 03:59 AM
How about the Z("zed" as in the Canadian pronunciation)Heads. So it's be ZHeads but be pronounced ZedHeads. I know, kind of stupid but like I said, it' HARD coming up with a name.;)
OOOO, just thought about another one "Ded B4 Don"(dead before dawn). Kind of catchy.

QIII
June 28th, 2013, 04:25 AM
Wut2namus

Maverick Meerkat
June 28th, 2013, 02:15 PM
In keeping with the spirit of Open Source software, but with a heavy metal twist, how about...
"Open Sores" :-)

Iowan
June 30th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Latin-based names are popular - eg. Krypteria, Apocalyptica, Epica, Xandria, Tristania
Some bands use the name of a (their) city, or a nearby feature - Boston, Gotthard, Black Oak Arkansas, Stonehenge

Inodoro Pereyra
June 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Some years ago (let's not go into detail ;)) I wanted to form a heavy metal band. The name I intended to use was "Spucatum Tauri" (look it up on the 'net). Other name that could work (being that you are a linux user) would be #! (CrunchBang). Just my 2 cents. :)

loukingjr
June 30th, 2013, 08:05 PM
how about an acronym? such as MMA. i.e. Masters of the Metal Arts, (a little pretentious) or Mixed Metal Arts etc? feel free to use a different acronym. :)

Iowan
June 30th, 2013, 08:09 PM
At least one band has used the band members' initials to form an acronym/name. (OK, so you're no ABBA)
Contradictions - like Rusted Gold, or Rough Silk (Velvet Revolver)

loukingjr
June 30th, 2013, 08:14 PM
considering the zillions of bands there have been over the years it would be hard not to do something so new no one has thought of something similar.

how about Grind, Grimace, Glare...

deadflowr
June 30th, 2013, 08:25 PM
considering the zillions of bands there have been over the years it would be hard not to do something so new no one has thought of something similar.

how about Grind, Grimace, Glare...

Yes, bands names are like horses and dogs at the racetrack, it's very hard to find something that hasn't been used.

loukingjr
June 30th, 2013, 08:27 PM
or a number 424, or a mix M27, or something with a silent letter, such as Gnerve (or Gnurve). Okay I'm done :D

deadflowr
June 30th, 2013, 08:53 PM
or a number 424, or a mix M27, or something with a silent letter, such as Gnerve (or Gnurve). Okay I'm done :D

This made me think, why not something like the Prince symbol thingy.

Have some graphics artist make a symbol without a name.
Then let the fans decide what they'll call it.

Moose
July 1st, 2013, 05:19 AM
Yes, bands names are like horses and dogs at the racetrack, it's very hard to find something that hasn't been used.

Exactly man! We originally got our name from Skyrim, and then 2 weeks later we discover there's a same band in our genre with the same name! It sucks dude. :c

Swagman
July 2nd, 2013, 10:52 AM
Iconica or Ikonika ?

Yellow Pasque
July 2nd, 2013, 08:35 PM
I christen you Schrödinger's Cats! You can keep a reference to your death metal days (since the cat was sort of dead and sort of not), and you have a vague relation with the Fedora Linux release that came out today.

steveneddy
July 14th, 2013, 03:57 AM
http://www.newbandname.com/

ana551
July 14th, 2013, 11:33 AM
cyanide overload

alan21276
July 14th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Chunky Mungo, it's not taken and the .com is still unused.

Dry Lips
July 14th, 2013, 07:24 PM
A few from the top of my head:

- kernel panic
- the sudoers
- stack overflow
- whitelist blackhat
- aptitude yum

diazepamkit
July 15th, 2013, 11:27 AM
killall 900

jonnyboysmithy
July 15th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Sourkrout? ^ ^ Its a name that I thought of while eating... sauerkraut.. GASP :P

BR8
July 15th, 2013, 11:38 PM
Sudo and the xkills? XKILL? xkill? xKill? Xkill? XKill? xKILL? Tux and the Penguins?

Swagman
July 17th, 2013, 10:50 PM
Gentoo & the Propellor Heads ?

nothingspecial
July 17th, 2013, 10:59 PM
Man Bash ?

odiseo77
July 17th, 2013, 11:25 PM
Evil Root.