PDA

View Full Version : Booting any Linux on my old laptop

66Antigravity
June 26th, 2013, 12:44 PM
Hi guys!

I want to boot linux on my old laptop (118MB RAM; 930MHz; 10GB HDD) with WinXP on it (i have no idea how can xp work with such small RAM).
I have tried booting Ubuntu 12.04 on it by a CD, because it can not boot from USB (its BIOS also supports network booting). it only have CD mechanic (not DVD) and floppy drive.
I have downloaded xubuntu 13.4 iso file, but it cannot be burned to CD, only to DVD (approx. 800MB)
Im a newbie in linux and i want to try it on some other computer before i will put it dualbooting on my desktop with WinXP.
Also i want to install Mixxx there. its my priority, which shouldnt be done, but i want it there.

So i want to ask, if there is some possibility to put a kind of ubuntu there where i can install Mixxx and also learn something.

Thank you!
PS: sorry for my english

MidnightGrey
June 26th, 2013, 01:43 PM
You may want to check out lubuntu which is a lightweight variant of ubuntu designed specifically for older PCs and minimal specs in mind.
Check out this webpage for more details:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall

I'm not familiar with Mixxx so i cant answer if lubuntu can run it or not.

snowpine
June 26th, 2013, 01:48 PM
Welcome to the forums!

I have a ton of experience installing Linux on old hardware. I think this is a great project, lots of fun, and I highly recommend it. :)

That being said, your particular computer is just too old. Recycle it. You can find a better computer for free in the trash, or if you ask friends/family/co-workers, or look on craigslist/freecycle/goodwill/etc.

I personally will not touch a computer unless it has 1gb RAM and 1ghz processor. You can find an old Pentium 4 with 1gb for about $50 on Craigslist, which is plenty of hardware power to run Lubuntu (Ubuntu for old computers). :)