PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 on Compaq can't see Windows 7 during installation

DafJohn
June 26th, 2013, 11:46 AM
Hi

I'm trying to install Ubuntu 12.04 on a Compaq machine CQ290EA. I have created a Ubuntu DVD and can get the installation to start by setting the Secure Boot Configuration to Legacy. I have also disabled Secure Boot and Fast Boot.

The installation proceeds but then tells me that no operating systems have been detected during the installation. However, Windows 7 Ultimate is on the machine and I don't want to overwrite it i.e. I want Windows and Ubuntu on the system.

Can anybody tell me what I've done wrong?

Thanks in advance

Dave

mlu17
June 26th, 2013, 12:00 PM
Hi Dave,

I hope you haven't deleted your Windows partition.

Do you have one or more harddisk(s) in your machine?
Did you change any partitioning stuff while installing Ubuntu?

Do you have access to a boot-menu while booting the machine? F12 or something should give you a list of devices from which you want to boot.

Regards,
Michael

DafJohn
July 10th, 2013, 01:32 PM
Hi Michael

I'm sorry for the late reply. I have only just seen your reply. Here are the answers to your questions:

"hope you haven't deleted your Windows partition."

No, windows is still there.

"Do you have one or more harddisk(s) in your machine?"

No, just one hard disk 500GB.

"Did you change any partitioning stuff while installing Ubuntu?"

No, I didn't change any of the partitions. As soon as I get "This computer currently has no detected operating systems" I cancelled installation.

"Do you have access to a boot-menu while booting the machine? F12 or something should give you a list of devices from which you want to boot."

Yes, Windows boots normally i.e. I haven't installed Ubuntu yet.

I've tried this many times now and still getting the same result.

Very puzzling. Any help would be most appreciated.

Regards

Dave