PDA

View Full Version : I had to take Ubuntu off my computers...

Castar
July 14th, 2006, 05:16 PM
I am at the final stage of my PhD and I realised that I'm "nerding" with Ubuntu more than actually working with it... ](*,) .

So, that's it for me now. No more Ubuntu until I start writing up! :mad:

Ok, maybe I will give Edgy a quick look ;)

Stupid MFC programming... :mad:

EDIT: Can someone move this to the Cafe? It was by mistake that I posted here...

matthew
July 14th, 2006, 05:23 PM
I am at the final stage of my PhD and I realised that I'm "nerding" with Ubuntu more than actually working with it... ](*,) .

EDIT: Can someone move this to the Cafe? It was by mistake that I posted here...I moved it for you. Now get back to work so you can finish and come back and play.:-D:-D:-D

Brunellus
July 14th, 2006, 05:33 PM

EDIT: Can someone move this to the Cafe? It was by mistake that I posted here...
find someone you trust and make him root on your ubuntu box. have him reset root pass (or add him to sudoers and remove yourself).

Then, carry on as a regular user. when the crisis is over, get root back.

matthew
July 14th, 2006, 05:35 PM
find someone you trust and make him root on your ubuntu box. have him reset root pass (or add him to sudoers and remove yourself).

Then, carry on as a regular user. when the crisis is over, get root back.At first I laughed, then I realized this is a great suggestion provided the OP has someone genuinely trustworthy that could/would act in this role for him.

Brunellus
July 14th, 2006, 05:40 PM
the sysad's job is to save users from themselves. In this case, where the user *is* the sysad, perhaps some profit can be had in farming it out....

This is the permissions-based version of a solution a buddy of mine had: as his final exams approached, he gave his laptop (which as new and shiny) to his girlfriend for safekeeping. She locked it away, and he passed.

Castar
July 14th, 2006, 05:58 PM
I moved it for you. Now get back to work so you can finish and come back and play.:-D:-D:-D

LOL, will do! :)

Castar
August 19th, 2006, 12:15 AM
One month and 5 days...

This is how long it took for me to come back.

Kubuntu is back on baby! :D

matthew
August 19th, 2006, 12:20 AM
Woohoo! Welcome back. How are the studies coming?

The Noble
August 19th, 2006, 06:36 AM
It is good to have you coming back! The more K/X/Ubuntu users we have that are as active and helpful as you the better.

Castar
August 19th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks, it's good to be back. I will have to restrain myself though so that I get the PhD in the end :D

GeneralZod
August 19th, 2006, 02:07 PM
Thanks, it's good to be back. I will have to restrain myself though so that I get the PhD in the end :D

I'm in a similar boat - I've been dying to start work on my first KDE app(s) for about 6 months now, but I a) feel guilty about expending effort on something that is not finishing off my PhD and b) can't be arsed to finish off my PhD :) There's hardly anything left to do now, but damned if I can't motivate myself to finish it off and get it out of the way forever :(

Anyway, welcome back! :)

ComplexNumber
August 19th, 2006, 04:13 PM
Castar, GeneralZod
you can write an application anytime. its not important. what is important is your PhD. you can't do your PhD anytime, so forget about writing the application for the time being :)

GeneralZod
August 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM
Castar, GeneralZod
you can write an application anytime. its not important. what is important is your PhD. you can't do your PhD anytime, so forget about writing the application for the time being :)

Very wise words indeed. Maybe I'll get back to work on it next weekend :)

Lord Illidan
August 19th, 2006, 04:52 PM
Hehe...same thing happened to me on my exams... I think the best solution is either give the computer to your parents, or else physically dismantle it!

Castar
August 19th, 2006, 11:26 PM
Hehe...same thing happened to me on my exams... I think the best solution is either give the computer to your parents, or else physically dismantle it!

In our case, to our supervisors! :D

But then how could we finish the PhD? :confused: It's a vicious circle ;)

Back to work! :(

kanem
August 20th, 2006, 12:01 AM
In our case, to our supervisors! :D

But then how could we finish the PhD? :confused: It's a vicious circle ;)
I was in the same boat. Was trying to write my thesis on the computer and gave up when I came to the understanding that my computer is my most time consuming toy.

In the end, this was my solution: a binder, a pen, and a bunch of paper. That's right, the old-fasioned way. That may sound horrible, but it actually had 3 benefits for me:
1) The solution to the topical problem of our computers distracting us from writing.
2) Two layers of quality control: while writing, and again while typing it up.
3) The words flowed easier. When writing something on the computer it has a more permanent feel to it, and I spend to much time agonizing over every word, while when writing on paper I just let it out.

Thank god this only has to be done once, eh?

Campitor
August 21st, 2006, 01:14 AM
I was in the same boat. Was trying to write my thesis on the computer and gave up when I came to the understanding that my computer is my most time consuming toy.

In the end, this was my solution: a binder, a pen, and a bunch of paper. That's right, the old-fasioned way.

Same boat here!!! I'm in the writting phase of my PhD now, and Ubuntu is just too much of a distraction. I have also switched to pen and paper...as Kanem said, it does help a lot with the writting. And I have limited my computer interaction time to two hours a day. Still...I'm installing Ubuntulite on an old laptop I had..as we speak. Guess you cant drop Ubuntu cold/turkey :D .

Camp