PDA

View Full Version : Core 2 Duo Benchmarks

mustang
July 14th, 2006, 04:18 PM
http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2795&p=1

Looks like I'll be making my first intel purchase since 1996.

Some quotes:

Intel's Core 2 Extreme X6800 didn't lose a single benchmark in our comparison; not a single one. In many cases, the $183 Core 2 Duo E6300 actually outperformed Intel's previous champ: the Pentium Extreme Edition 965. In one day, Intel has made its entire Pentium D lineup of processors obsolete. Intel's Core 2 processors offer the sort of next-generation micro-architecture performance leap that we honestly haven't seen from Intel since the introduction of the P6.

Compared to AMD's Athlon 64 X2 the situation gets a lot more competitive, but AMD still doesn't stand a chance. The Core 2 Extreme X6800, Core 2 Duo E6700 and E6600 were pretty consistently in the top 3 or 4 spots in each benchmark, with the E6600 offering better performance than AMD's FX-62 flagship in the vast majority of benchmarks. Another way of looking at it is that Intel's Core 2 Duo E6600 is effectively a $316 FX-62, which doesn't sound bad at all.

bruce89
July 14th, 2006, 04:30 PM
Do the Intel ones do AMD64 instructions?

Mathias-K
July 14th, 2006, 04:56 PM
Indeed, Intel has retaken the crown.

Do the Intel ones do AMD64 instructions?

Yep, it's called EM64T.

mstlyevil
July 14th, 2006, 06:43 PM
I am sooooooooooo tempted, but honestly with the price drops of the X2, I can save a lot of money by just upgrading to it. The X2 is still a workhorse and all I would have to spend to get dual core is $169 VS about $800 to build a new core 2 duo system.

Now What I do have planned is to wait the year and a half between building systems. (I built this one in January) Then I will upgrade to whoever holds the crown at that time.

I just had to evaluate that what I have is really fast and does a superb job so spending all that money just does not make sense for me. But if I had the money, I would be getting a core 2 duo.

uberlaff
July 14th, 2006, 06:47 PM
This should be a good eye-opener for the stagnent CPU market. I'm glad to see Intel is back in the game. Competition is good for the industry.

Can't wait to hear what AMD has up its sleeves... ;)

mstlyevil
July 14th, 2006, 06:55 PM
This should be a good eye-opener for the stagnent CPU market. I'm glad to see Intel is back in the game. Competition is good for the industry.

Can't wait to hear what AMD has up its sleeves... ;)

They have the K8l coming out next year with higher clock speeds and some of the enhancements Intel added to the Core 2 Duo. Intel should be on top for at least a year.

Brunellus
July 14th, 2006, 09:14 PM
They have the K8l coming out next year with higher clock speeds and some of the enhancements Intel added to the Core 2 Duo. Intel should be on top for at least a year.
for all the corehappy kids out there, AMD will release something called 4x4--two sockets, interconnected, into which two dual-core procs can be inserted, making 4 cores in all.

The amount of computational power available now is simply staggering.

RAV TUX
July 15th, 2006, 01:40 AM
Indeed, Intel has retaken the crown.

Yep, it's called EM64T.

I have been using an Intel EM64T since last year and have to say once you go dual-core 64 bit you'll never go back.

It's like comparing DSL/broadband to dial-up a world of difference.

zenwhen
July 15th, 2006, 04:38 AM
I will soon be building a new system with one of these chips. It is really exciting.

mips
July 15th, 2006, 01:42 PM
for all the corehappy kids out there, AMD will release something called 4x4--two sockets, interconnected, into which two dual-core procs can be inserted, making 4 cores in all.

The amount of computational power available now is simply staggering.

Here is a bit more of what is coming from AMD, http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2768&p=1

RAV TUX
July 15th, 2006, 04:16 PM
here is an interesting article from the same source above:

Dual Core Linux Performance: Two Penguins are Better than One

http://www.anandtech.com/linux/showdoc.aspx?i=2463

stonefeet
July 19th, 2006, 09:07 AM
we got 4 of the pentium d's at work for print servers and their performance got me really intrested in this new dual core thing, and this thread/website is great! i can't wait for these to come out so either the price of pentium d's go way down or maybe they'll be not too pricey so i can pick one up and put together a real nice system for myself.