PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade 10.10 Server

cipe53
June 23rd, 2013, 11:52 AM
I need to up upgrade an Ubuntu server 10.10. Of course this version is no longer supported EOL (apt-get update fails with 404s).

Following Google, I have tried do-release-upgrade but that too fails also with 404s.

Google suggests changing the urls in sources.list to old-release ... if I wish to update, but says I cannot then upgrade to new versions.

Is there any path forward to upgrading 10.10?

Thank you.

dino99
June 23rd, 2013, 12:54 PM
if you really does not want to use a "maintained" (aka newer) release, then you cant get any update except using some untrusted oldish ppas, with the risk of non compatible package(s).
10.10 is dead, thats it; choose something actual (raring for stability) instead of staying in the past.

cipe53
June 23rd, 2013, 01:52 PM
Sorry, perhaps I did not make myself clear.

I do want to upgrade to the newest LTS release (I was expecting to upgrade to natty and then again to the latest LTS).

But do-release-upgrade gives 404 errors, just as apt-get update gives 404s, so does do-release-upgrade. (Certain repositories have been moved to old-release).

Is it still possible to migrate/upgrade to the newer releases?
How do I make do-release-upgrade find the sources it needs?

gordintoronto
June 24th, 2013, 01:53 AM
10.10 reached end of life more than two years ago. (I used it for the full 18 months.) I could be wrong, but I think you are looking at a fresh install.

Doing two release upgrades often causes problems, so a fresh install is a good option. But first, you need to make sure you have copious backup. Here's an extreme option: buy a new hard drive, and put the old one into a USB adapter. (I have done this, it worked great, didn't cost much.)