PDA

View Full Version : Does Ubuntu 13.04 + Cinnamon = Linux Mint?

carmen2012
June 23rd, 2013, 05:03 AM
I know Mint is built upon Ubuntu. So, if you take Ubuntu 13.04 and add Cinnamon, is that the same as Linux Mint or is there more to Mint then just Cinnamon?

Thank you

carl4926
June 23rd, 2013, 05:14 AM
I know Mint is built upon Ubuntu. So, if you take Ubuntu 13.04 and add Cinnamon, is that the same as Linux Mint or is there more to Mint then just Cinnamon?

Thank you

No it's not
Mint is more than just cinnamon

carmen2012
June 23rd, 2013, 05:22 AM
No it's not
Mint is more than just cinnamon

Could you elaborate, what else does Mint have that is above and beyond Cinnamon? More just curious and interested.

Thank you

hansdown
June 23rd, 2013, 05:38 AM
They are two differant desktop environments.

If you run cinnamon on top of mint, it is extremely differant.

3rdalbum
June 23rd, 2013, 05:42 AM
Linux Mint has a few custom-written programs for settings, updates and package installation. It also includes restricted codecs out-of-the-box.

Ubuntu with Cinnamon and codecs can get pretty close to Mint, though. The custom parts of Mint don't add much.

carl4926
June 23rd, 2013, 05:55 AM
I guess the multimedia and Mint branding
In essence it's the same but the look is quite different
Mint doesn't update the same a Ubuntu, in particular Mint Updated will not update the kernel like Ubuntu (only patches)

carmen2012
June 23rd, 2013, 06:12 AM
I guess the multimedia and Mint branding
In essence it's the same but the look is quite different
Mint doesn't update the same a Ubuntu, in particular Mint Updated will not update the kernel like Ubuntu (only patches)

I'm just in the process of installing Ubuntu 13.04 + Cinnamon. It'll be interesting to see what it will be like.

One thing that is nice to see is that Cinnamon is officially available in the repository in this version of Ubuntu, unlike earlier versions of Ubuntu, so hopefully Canonical is recognizing that there is an interest for Cinnamon.

grahammechanical
June 23rd, 2013, 08:23 PM
so hopefully Canonical is recognizing that there is an interest for Cinnamon.

I doubt that as the software centre says that Canonical does not provide updates and that updates may be provided by the community.

cincinnatus13
June 24th, 2013, 06:03 PM
I would suggest adding the Cinnamon PPA to get Cinnamon 1.8 if you're going to do it (easily found on google.) The one in the Ubuntu repos is 1.74.
I have it on my Dell and 1.8 runs flawlessly.

Frogs Hair
June 24th, 2013, 09:44 PM
The Cinnamon package in the 13.04 repository is a bare bones package and you may get a more complete experience with a good well maintained PPA.

carmen2012
June 24th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I really don't know how the 13.04 repository works, but I assumed that if Canonical has included the Cinnamon package, albeit an older version, in the repository, it would mean that it would be tested, compatible and approved for Ubuntu 13.04? Would that be safe to assume?

I figured if this was the case, might as well go with something that might be an older version, but functional with Ubuntu.

Frogs Hair
June 24th, 2013, 10:18 PM
I figured if this was the case, might as well go with something that might be an older version, but functional with Ubuntu.

I feel the same about the Gnome Shell package . A former Mint user pointed out in a different thread that the 13.04 Cinnamon package was missing some functionality he/she had come to expect , but not having used Mint I wouldn't know the difference anyway.

cincinnatus13
June 24th, 2013, 10:57 PM
Yeah, it should be perfectly fine with 13.04.

Our only suggestion is that it seems that 1.8 runs perfectly fine on 13.04 and there's not a great reason to not go with the latest and greatest.

carmen2012
June 24th, 2013, 11:57 PM
Yeah, it should be perfectly fine with 13.04.

Our only suggestion is that it seems that 1.8 runs perfectly fine on 13.04 and there's not a great reason to not go with the latest and greatest.

Thanks for the suggestion. Two questions:

1. Is there a release log that will tell us what is included in the different versions of Cinnamon? I've been using this one for the better part of 24 hours now and so far so good

2. How does the version of Cinnamon within the Ubuntu Software Center get updated? Is this something that Cannonical will do some time down the road or is someone else responsible for its updates?

Thank you

cincinnatus13
June 25th, 2013, 12:09 AM
1) Basic rundown http://cinnamon.linuxmint.com/?p=261
I'm sure there's an official changelog somewhere but I know 1.8 was a big release.

2) Cinnamon in the repos will probably not be updated to 1.8 at least until 13.10, if not 14.04. It's simply meant to satisfy those who want Cinnamon without adding repos, etc. It's much the same way for other DEs like Enlightenment.

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/how-to-install-cinnamon-1-8-on-ubuntu-13-04.html
Link for gettng 1.8 if you want.

webguy
November 2nd, 2013, 05:38 PM
I just installed Cinnamon 1.8 on Xubuntu 13.04. It also gives Ubuntu desktop option on login manager. Ubuntu desktop was locking up on me. Only way to get out was to use 'sudo reboot' command from terminal. I'm using Acer Aspire 5560-sb659 with 32bit xubuntu 4 gb memory AMD dual core cpu, amd radeon video w/ 512mg memory.