PDA

View Full Version : Do you think anything could have gone wrong?

jezza10181
June 21st, 2013, 07:52 PM
Hi, Completely new to Ubuntu, so decided to install the 64bit version on to my Compaq Presario laptop (CQ61), using a new blank replacement drive. Everything went swimmingly, until right at the very end, when it prompted me to restart. Rather than click the button to restart it, I instead opted to take the boot disk out first, which after doing so, the screen went black, and some weird message along the lines of "kernel panic", or something, displayed on the screen. The computer seemed unresponsive at this point, so I turned it off & on again. The installation seems successful though, in that I can use Ubuntu.. but it does leave me worrying whether this last thing I did has messed something up.. Any opinion on that?

ahallubuntu
June 21st, 2013, 08:14 PM
~

grahammechanical
June 21st, 2013, 09:14 PM
We are supposed to click "OK" and then the program will eject the CD and ask us to press enter. Then it will shut down and run restart if we select to run restart instead of shut down. Linux/Ubuntu is very robust. You did not mess anything up because Ubuntu was not running from the hard disk. Ubuntu will most likely survive a power off. I have done it a few times when something breaks.

Regards.