PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade from 12.10 to 13.04 fails, no error message

sports fan Matt
June 20th, 2013, 05:25 AM
Hello all,

I decided to upgrade to Raring tonight and in doing so, can't get past 12.10 Quantal. There is no error message to display but boot-info script from my 12.04 live CD I created does say it is installed. Is there a way from the recovery console I can upgrade to Raring?

sports fan Matt
June 20th, 2013, 06:02 AM
Going to burn a raring ISO but need to know if I can recover my files from my 12.04 install..etc

Irihapeti
June 20th, 2013, 06:10 AM
There should be a home directory or /home partition (depending on how you've set things up) somewhere on your hard drive.

It's a matter of booting with your liveCD and looking for it. Once you've found it and mounted it, you can copy your files to an external drive, or online storage if you prefer that.

sports fan Matt
June 20th, 2013, 06:14 AM
Yeah, not sure if 12.10 was a bad release for a lot of people (saw a lot of threads where it was bad) so I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a problem. I upgraded because as I found out, the text in Chromium (no matter what I tried, wouldn't adjust with gnome-tweak or chromium itself. :)

Irihapeti
June 20th, 2013, 06:18 AM
Every release is bad for at least some users, and upgrades are a bit of a gamble at any time. I've only done it when working with Ubuntu +1.

In your situation, I'd be inclined to find and rescue the user files and then reinstall completely.