PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy the Nexus 4?

yman
June 19th, 2013, 06:47 PM
I want a phone that will be able to run the Ubuntu desktop when docked, and I don't know if the Nexus 4 is powerful enough. I also need it to work in Israel, and was wondering if anyone knows if it's compatible. And I want a decent camera. Is there a cheaper phone that will fit the bill? It's kind of urgent, and I believe I need an answer today.

Thanks.

RaZoRbelarus
June 19th, 2013, 07:31 PM
If you are going to buy it from Play Store for 299$/349$, I think it's a bargain. Proper updates directly from Google, 2Gb of RAM, S4 Pro, large community.
Ubuntu Touch is being built offically for Nexus 4 (mako).
However, there haven't been any news recently about this "dock your Android phone and get a full Ubuntu desktop on your PC" thing AFAIK. Something tells me that it was just a concept of what can be done, but nobody is really working on it right now.

yman
June 19th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Wow, thank you for your reply!

I'm not just asking about Ubuntu for Android being available or installable, but whether the device is powerful enough to run it, since the same feature is also included in Ubuntu for Phones. That is to say, if I install Ubuntu for Phones on this device and dock it, will the desktop interface come up? Will it run at a good speed? Will I be able to view Flash videos on it without stuttering, like on Hulu? Would Flash even be available on ARM? If I get it it will be my first smartphone, so I'm really not knowledgable and don't have a "feel" for these devices yet.

yman
June 20th, 2013, 12:36 AM
Oh, well. I just bought it second hand. Regardless of whether or not it was the right choice for me, it is what I'm getting. I only hope that the 8GB version won't prove to be way too small, although my dad's iPhone 3GS seems to be able to record hours of video at low yet acceptable quality with the same disc space. With 40+ Android games that I already own, and a desire to try Ubuntu on my device, what other choice did I have?

awapal
July 5th, 2013, 06:48 AM
ya its a good phone i am using it and completely satisfy
binary mlm software india (http://www.mlmsoftware.net.in/)