PDA

View Full Version : Figured out what I'm going to do with my 32GB USB drive.

TNFrank
June 19th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Since I'm having a hard time getting a multi-boot USB for live versions of Ubuntu I'm just going to use the 32GB USB to store the iso files. Then, if I want to make a live USB to boot to I'll just use one of the iso files on the 32GB to make up a live version using UNetbootin onto an 8GB USB. That way I can store a bunch of different iso like Ubuntu, Lubuntu, Kubuntu or any other versions like Peppermint Four on the big ol' huge USB and use em' as I need em'. Anyway, just wanted to share, talk to ya'll later. ):P

Maverick Meerkat
June 19th, 2013, 07:05 PM
I like it!
I think it would be cool to make Live USB's of older versions of Ubuntu and run those, just to see how much has changed.
I had seen the list of old iso's listed on here before.
My first install was 10.10 and I have all the iso's since.
Your plan is good if you need to burn a copy quick to hand over to a new convert :-)
Enjoy,
Rick

lykwydchykyn
June 19th, 2013, 07:12 PM
What methods have you tried to do multiboot with? I use multisystem, it's very user-friendly and straightforward.

TNFrank
June 19th, 2013, 07:18 PM
I've tried UNetbootin and some French probram, can't remember the name but MultiSystem seems to ring a bell. I saw XBoot but that's just for Windows so I can't use it. I posted a YouTube vid of a guy using UNetbootin to create a multi-boot USB and it looked pretty straight forward but when I've tried to do it something doesn't work.
Not a huge deal though, I'd rather have each Live OS on a different USB so if I misplace one I've not lost them all.

P.S.
Yep, just looked it up and it was MultiSystem that didn't work for me. It'd not "see" the USB drive at all.
P.S.S.
This guy is using UNetbootin to create a multi-boot live USB and it looks pretty easy but I get lost somewhere along the way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH-khdiXqYs

lykwydchykyn
June 19th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Well, if you feel like ever giving multisystem another crack I can help you figure out what went wrong. I've been using it for years; it's been solid, but there are some gotchas here and there.

TNFrank
June 19th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Well, if you feel like ever giving multisystem another crack I can help you figure out what went wrong. I've been using it for years; it's been solid, but there are some gotchas here and there.

I'd appreciate that. Soon as I pick up a couple more USB flash drives. Then we can see if we can get them working. I was going to get 8GB but if I'm going to have a couple bootable Op Systems on em' I might go with 16GB instead. I like to keep 2GB set aside for persistence and everything I've downloaded is under or just at 1GB so I could easily get 4 Op Systems onto one 16GB USB.