PDA

View Full Version : Relative merits - 12.04 and above ?

freebird54
June 19th, 2013, 05:24 AM
It is so long since I had an actual problem with an Ubuntu install that I have not kept track of what is in which. I am running a 12.04 - and was considering keeping it (not seeing anything needed in 12.10) - but it has managed some minor breakage (cannot update) that I seem unable to overcome. Because my /home is separate, at this point I might as well install clean rather than chasing a fix - but is there enough in any of the newer releases to justfy the change - when I have limited time to 'enjoy' the differences/improvements? Or - should I just re-install 12.04, which gives me Unity and all I really need (that I know of) :)

Thanks for any replies - I really haven't had time to 'work' on things lately....

Oh - possible factor - Brother mulit-function printer to made network accessible too - if any differences exist on that front!

ahallubuntu
June 19th, 2013, 05:40 AM
~

freebird54
June 19th, 2013, 05:58 AM
Thanks - wasn't aware of the subdot versions - it was an original install that was continually updated until the breakage. (Just for grins, the only error I could track claimed there was no space to continue update - but space was available (and I tried increasing it by removing old kernels) and the various repair options (CLI and built in) all died the same way. I also got conflicting 'space available' results on other partitions - so I think I'll bail on this one!).

I have a couple of other distros floating around on the boot drive (a Mint for one - while Ubuntu was on the 11's) so the backup wouldn't present a problem except for the usual arrogance that afflicts so many of us when things go well for a long time! (I'd been skipping it :)) - but it is, of course, an excellent idea!

Thanks again - and a 'new' release of 12.04 is in my immediate future (after a fresh backup of /home of course).

ahallubuntu
June 19th, 2013, 06:15 AM
~

leg
June 19th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I have recently updated my laptop from 12.04 to 13.04 and after a few issues with my wireless I am very happy with the outcome. The upgrade itself went fine but after my wireless network card did not work. I have a BCM4312 LP-PHY and my mistake was using a thread that described getting it working with a slightly different driver. Once someone pointed out my error I had it working very quickly and my laptop actually seems to run better than it did before.

My system appears to boot quicker and I am in a working session earlier that I was with 12.04. Applications appear to load quicker and, as I said, I am just overall pleased with the outcome.