PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Concerns with my video card and fan

eakDev
June 19th, 2013, 01:47 AM
Hello,

I just bought a new samsung series 5 laptop. It comes with a prebuilt windows 8. The first thing I did was to install Ubuntu together with it.

Concerns when I'm using Ubuntu:

The CPU fan is noisy, I believe it's always at max. (This is not the case when I am in W8)
Ubuntu is not using my AMD Radeon HD 8750M card, instead it's using the Intel HD Graphics 4000. Ubuntu additional driver says. "Activated but not in use"

Here are the specs of my laptops if it helps:

OS - Dual boot (W8, Ubuntu 12.0.4.2)
Motherboard - SAMSUNG ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. NP510R5E-S01PH

Thank you for your time!

QIII
June 19th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Hello!

Unfortunately, you are in for a rough time. The OEMs have nor been kind to the Linux community in terms of support for hybrid graphics like yours.

I'm on my cell phone right now so I can't add a link, but look for a thread called "Hybrid Intel/ATI graphics works!" for a good place to start.

There used to be a product called Jupiter to help with this, but I don't think it is actively developed any longer.

Best wishes. You are headed for some work.

eakDev
June 19th, 2013, 02:08 AM
QIII,

Yeah one tutorial i read mentioned to download Jupiter on software center but i guess they removed it already. I also read few blogs saying that the AMD driver in ubuntu still does not support the AMD version im using. Having said that what would you suggest i do to control my fan speed because my CPU, hard drive and motherboard temperatures are on normal temps but the fan still seems to run at max.

QIII
June 19th, 2013, 02:25 AM
Don't do anything to slow that fan down. Systems like yours run hot under Linux and your fan is running that hard just to maintain a normal temp.

Unfortunately you will have to live with it, or install Ubuntu in a virtual machine with Windows as the host. Graphics performance is terrible in virtualization, but at least you won't destroy your new machine.

eakDev
June 19th, 2013, 02:36 AM
That's sad considering ubuntu has been running just fine on my very old laptop. But you're right i just have to deal with it. It's noisy only during the night anyway. Using a virtual machine is not an option for me. I tried it and i just don't feel comfortable with it.

I'm pretty sure a solution would be given in the next few months, thank you so much for your help! :)

QIII
June 19th, 2013, 06:25 AM
I sure hope someone in the open source world can come up with a workable solution. I don't think the OEMs are going to be in a great hurry to spend a lot of resources on such a small segment of the market.