View Full Version : Unable to install Google Chrome

thailandxi
June 18th, 2013, 03:35 PM
I have downloaded the Chrome and run the command

sudo dpkg -i google-chrome-stable_current_i386.deb

but failed,

dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of google-chrome-stable:
google-chrome-stable depends on gconf-service; however:
Package gconf-service is not configured yet.
google-chrome-stable depends on libgconf-2-4 (>= 2.31.1); however:
Package libgconf-2-4 is not installed.
google-chrome-stable depends on libstdc++6 (>= 4.6); however:
Version of libstdc++6 on system is 4.5.2-8ubuntu4.
google-chrome-stable depends on libx11-6 (>= 2:1.4.99.1); however:
Version of libx11-6 on system is 2:1.4.2-1ubuntu3.
dpkg: error processing google-chrome-stable (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured

My Ubuntu version is 11.04

Frogs Hair
June 18th, 2013, 05:25 PM
11.04 has reached end of life and the repository is closed .This may account for the dependency problem because there is no active repository to download the dependencies from.

vasa1
June 18th, 2013, 05:53 PM
It's worth looking at http://googlechromereleases.blogspot.in/2013/06/stable-channel-update_17.html

The Stable channel has been updated to 28.0.1500.45 for Linux.

The minimum requirements for Linux have also been updated:

Ubuntu 12.04+
Debian 7+
OpenSuSE 12.2+
Fedora Linux 17+

thailandxi
June 18th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Thank you very much!

deadflowr
June 18th, 2013, 06:01 PM
11.04 has reached end of life and the repository is closed .This may account for the dependency problem because there is no active repository to download the dependencies from.

I don't even know if the latest chrome's needed dependencies are even available to use on natty.
Your options are thus
1) Backup your system and install a supported version of Ubuntu
2) Back up your files and switch to a different distribution
3) Scrap plans to install chrome
4) Risk it and try to find and install the needed dependencies
5) Switch your repos to the old-release repos, which undoubtedly will not have the needed dependencies anyway.

I highly recommend option #1.

thailandxi
June 18th, 2013, 06:28 PM
I choose the third option. I removed Google Chrome because I updated Java and then Chrome blocked Java, but I don't know I can't install Chrome again, What a pity. I will use Opera instead. Your other options are too difficult for me. Thank you

ahallubuntu
June 18th, 2013, 07:34 PM
~

malangaman
June 18th, 2013, 07:37 PM
I found this thread. After EOL repositories are moved to :
http://old-releases.ubuntu.com which can still be accessed if needed. Some computers will run best on the older Ubuntu distributions (non PAE, BIOS, not EUFI and if they have old Broadcom or Realtek IC controllers). I intend to keep many of my older machines on 10.04 indefinitely. I will do option 4 above.

deadflowr
June 18th, 2013, 07:56 PM
The longer you continue to use 11.04, the worse it's going to get with other software having issues, too, and no more updates. Sooner or later you'll need to upgrade. Why not sooner to spare yourself more pain?

People tend to sit on natty and maverick because of unity and the switch to gnome3.
Which is why I suggested option #2 of changes to another distro.
Be it something like mint or family member like xubuntu or lubuntu.

As an aside, last week I was digging through my backups and found my old iso of maverick.
I decided to install it in a VM so I could test converting the repos to the old-release archives.
PITA.
You end up reloading apt-get update like ten times, and commenting out various lines in the sources.list, until finally it works. Error free.Sort of, not really sure if I'm getting the full maverick repos or some kind of quasi-built repo system. I know I don't have the partner repos or the extras repos.
Not really worth the effort, and far easier just to upgrade to a support system.

ahallubuntu
June 18th, 2013, 08:32 PM
~

Cheesemill
June 18th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Even if you don't have a PAE enabled kernel you can install the non-PAE version of 12.04.

thailandxi
June 19th, 2013, 03:30 AM
I downloaded Chrome of version 27 from the website Uptodown.com, and installed successfully.

The longer you continue to use 11.04, the worse it's going to get with other software having issues, too, and no more updates. Sooner or later you'll need to upgrade. Why not sooner to spare yourself more pain?

I am just a beginner, and don't know to upgrade Ubuntu, I'm afraid to have some problems if I upgrade Ubuntu. Thanks

vasa1
June 19th, 2013, 03:39 AM
I downloaded Chrome of version 27 from the website ....com ...
Never heard of that site. Hope you stay safe.

stec2
May 11th, 2014, 10:21 AM
I don't even know if the latest chrome's needed dependencies are even available to use on natty.
Your options are thus
1) Backup your system and install a supported version of Ubuntu
2) Back up your files and switch to a different distribution
3) Scrap plans to install chrome
4) Risk it and try to find and install the needed dependencies
5) Switch your repos to the old-release repos, which undoubtedly will not have the needed dependencies anyway.

One more reliable option
6) Download version of Chrome which was the last one supported by your OLD ubuntu.
For example: for Ubuntu 10.04 last supported Chrome is v.27

http://95.31.35.30/chrome/pool/main/g/google-chrome-stable/google-chrome-stable_27.0.1453.110-r202711_i386.deb
http://95.31.35.30/chrome/pool/main/g/google-chrome-stable/google-chrome-stable_27.0.1453.110-r202711_amd64.deb

More releases here:
http://95.31.35.30/chrome/pool/main/g/google-chrome-stable/