PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Unable to Install

jakeshurey
June 17th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I've purchased a PC from eBuyer, which has NO OS installed. Spec is as follows: AMD A4 3300 2.5Ghz Processor; 4GB RAM; 320GB HDD; DVD Writer; AMD Radeon HD6410D; No Operating System.I've downloaded Ubuntu 12.04LTS and created a Boot USB following the instructions on the Ubuntu website. When I put the USB in and power on the PC; it asks me whether I want to run Live; Install or Check Disc for Errors. I've tried both Live and Install and they just take me to a black screen and nothing happens. If I escape that screen the PC Boots up to "EFI Shell version 1.31 (4.653) current running mode 1.1.2. If I type EXIT on this, it then displays the Ubuntu logo on a purple back ground, with around 5 dots illuminating (as if its scrolling). After about 2-3 minutes these dots stop scrolling and the screen just doesn't do anything. I don't know how to get into the BIOS and I don't really know where to go from here!! I am a complete new person to Linux; and I'm trying to get the hang of it as I'm really interested to learn it to sit the LPIC-1 exam! Thank-you in advanced for your help!

fantab
June 17th, 2013, 05:04 AM
The 'Black Screen' is probably due the Graphic Driver not being recognized or something of that sort. To bypass this we use 'NOMODESET' option. Read: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1613132
After installing Ubuntu you may have to install 'proprietory' drivers for which you will be prompted. However, it may not be necessary.
More info:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BinaryDriverHowto/ATI
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonHD

You must also make sure that your downloaded Ubuntu.iso is good with MD5Sum Check (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToMD5SUM)and also re-burn the .iso to the disk to ensure that we don't have a bad download and/or bad burn.

Since its a new PC check in your BIOS/UEFI and find out if you have UEFI/EFI boot enabled. If it is enabled then the we need to install Ubuntu in EFI mode. Confirm this.

jakeshurey
June 17th, 2013, 03:47 PM
Thank-you I shall give this a try!

jakeshurey
June 19th, 2013, 11:55 PM
Hello - Ive followed your instructions and I have managed to now get Ubuntu installed, but now I still get stuck at the splash screen when trying to boot into Ubunutu. I believe I have EFI Mode enabled but I am unable to get into the BIOS as no BIOS screen is displayed and it doesn't tell me what key to strike to get into the BIOS. Can you advise as to what I can do next please?

oldfred
June 20th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Do you get grub menu, or if only Ubuntu you may have to hold shift key from end of BIOS/UEFI to grub menu appearing.

Often f2 but systems vary, but depends more on UEFI/BIOS vendor not hardware vendor. Some examples in this:
UEFI/BIOS Boot keys - about halfway down on this Microsoft page
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/12911.tips-for-configuring-your-bios-settings-to-work-with-windows-to-go.aspx

Often you still need nomodeset until correct video driver is installed. So you may still need it on first boot after install.

jakeshurey
June 20th, 2013, 10:50 AM
I've done a bit of Googling and found that other people who have purchased a Zoostorm PC have had issues installing any distrib of Linux. I've managed to get onto the BIOS and told the PC to boot to the Hard Drive. Now when it powers up it asks me if I want to load the OS, load the recovery OS or run FREEDOS. If I run the OS, it crashes again on the splashscreen for Ubuntu; if I run the recovery mode and ask if to use the low graphics version it doesn't boot saying that the graphics card is incompatible. Please could someone talk me through the following 1) installing ubuntu in UEFI/EFI mode and also permenatly setting NOMODESET so I can install the graphics drivers accordingly. Thank-you to everyone so far with all your help!! Appreciate it.

fantab
June 20th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Like oldfred says above you have to use 'Nomodeset' again to boot, until you install the needed proprietory driver. So boot Ubuntu with 'nomodest' appended to the kernel line. See the 'nomodest' link above and follow the instructions under "How to temporarily set kernel boot options on an installed OS (not wubi)".

By the way, did this PC of your come with pre-installed Windows8?
Post the output of the following command booting with Ubunt install disk:

sudo parted -l

jakeshurey
June 20th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Thank-you I shall try this when I get home from work. No this PC came with no OS installed, I bought it as it was £149 and I wanted to learn Ubuntu in order to begin getting certified.

jakeshurey
June 25th, 2013, 12:08 AM
thank-you fantab and oldfred! all seems to be working okay now. your advice and links have really helped ... fantab in relation to your last post after typing in sudo parted -l it came back with the following:

jakeshurey
June 25th, 2013, 12:13 AM
Model: ATA WDC WD3200BPVT-6 (scsi)
Disk /dev/sda: 320gb
sector size (logical/physical): 512B/4096B
partition table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File System Flags
1 1049kb 316gb 316gb primary ext4 boot
2 316gb 320gb 3736mb extended
3 316gb 320gb 3736mb logical Linux-swap(v1)

fantab
June 25th, 2013, 05:27 AM
It doesn't matter now that everything is okay. I just wanted to confirm whether you are using GPT or msdos partition table.

regards...

tellison62
July 7th, 2013, 01:07 PM
I've done a bit of Googling and found that other people who have purchased a Zoostorm PC have had issues installing any distrib of Linux. I've managed to get onto the BIOS and told the PC to boot to the Hard Drive. Now when it powers up it asks me if I want to load the OS, load the recovery OS or run FREEDOS. If I run the OS, it crashes again on the splashscreen for Ubuntu; if I run the recovery mode and ask if to use the low graphics version it doesn't boot saying that the graphics card is incompatible. Please could someone talk me through the following 1) installing ubuntu in UEFI/EFI mode and also permenatly setting NOMODESET so I can install the graphics drivers accordingly. Thank-you to everyone so far with all your help!! Appreciate it.

Hi jake..
I have the exact same pc from ebuyer and also unable to access the bios from the efi screen though ive tried various f keys.Would you mind sharing how you accessed the bios?.
Thanks in advance
tellison