PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] "Missing Operating System"

Akilou
June 16th, 2013, 02:55 AM
I'm trying to install Ubuntu via a live USB. This isn't my first rodeo, I've had a dual-booting system for a while (+ Windows 7), and after experimenting a little, I ended up breaking Ubuntu. No worries, I uninstalled it. Now I'm trying to get back in the game, but things aren't working.

Let me start with what I've tried:

creating the bootable usb drive with both unetbootin and Linux Live usb creator
both 32 bit and 64 bit versions of both 12.04 and 13.04
Even used checksum, and everything checked out.
Also tried every iteration on all (4) usb ports.
Tried running it in virtual box (after using Linux Live usb creator) and I get the same result (see below)

This is what happens with every attempt above

When booting, i hit escape, get to the boot menu, and Sandisk usb key is an option from which to boot. I choose it and I get a message 'missing operating system' before it goes to the Windows splash screen and Windows boots like normal.

Any ideas?

If you need any more info about my system, I'd be happy to tell you; just let me know what you need.

Thanks in advance!

ahallubuntu
June 16th, 2013, 03:14 AM
~

Akilou
June 16th, 2013, 03:27 AM
My USB drive is formatted at FAT32, and in windows, I can open up the drive and see all of the files and folders inside. At first it was formatted at NTFS, but Linux Live USB Creator alerted me; so I reformatted as FAT32.

Let me see if I can boot from the same USB on another computer. I'll get back to you.

Akilou
June 16th, 2013, 03:39 AM
So I got an error message on a different computer, but a different one. SanDisk show up as an option to boot from, but I get "no boot disk detected or boot disk has failed" after I select it.

I assume this means I screwed up when creating the USB drive, but I don't know what could have gone wrong. I downloaded 13.04 as an ISO, ran unetbootin, pointed the iso to the usb drive, and let it roll.

Any suggestions on what I should try next?

ahallubuntu
June 16th, 2013, 04:07 AM
~

Mark Phelps
June 16th, 2013, 07:35 AM
An alternative, which I personally use, is the Universal Installer from PendriveLinux.com. When you run it, choose the bottom-most option -- generic Linux.

Akilou
June 16th, 2013, 02:52 PM
I figured it out!

It must have been something with the flash drive that I was using. I tried a few others, and the third one worked without any problems.

I guess I'll never know, specifically, what the problem was past 'use a different flash drive', but oh well. I'm posting this from 13.04. Yay!