PDA

View Full Version : Wifi woes script.

Adamant1988
July 14th, 2006, 06:23 AM
This is an app made my LinuxNIT for Elive but he's pointed me to it when I told him about all the wifi problems people are having in Ubuntu. Hopefully this could help some...

http://www.elivedev.org/linuxnit/files/index.php?dir=&file=wifi-wiz-v2-2.deb

It hasn't been thoroughly tested for Ubuntu systems but LinuxNIT says that it *should* work fine... any feedback would be great... I'll make sure he sees this thread to watch how people are doing with the ap.

slimdog360
July 14th, 2006, 06:26 AM
what does it do?

Adamant1988
July 14th, 2006, 06:43 AM
it's supposed to automatically configure all of the settings and such for connecting to wifi networks.. but I could ask him for a more specific definition

<LinuxNIT> ;)
<LinuxNIT> Wifi-Wiz is a GUI to assist Linux users in finding and connection to wireless networks. It scans for networks, allows you to set the essid wep key channel mode. displayes current connection status
<LinuxNIT> allows you to connect with dhcp or static ip
<LinuxNIT> can remember saved networks and pull up the information if a saved network is found during the scan
<LinuxNIT> hows that?

GuitarHero
July 14th, 2006, 06:53 AM
downloaded it and it says dependency is not satisfiable: dhcp-client

Adamant1988
July 14th, 2006, 07:00 AM
he uploaded a new one that should fix your dependancy issue.

GuitarHero
July 14th, 2006, 07:02 AM
same link?

Adamant1988
July 14th, 2006, 07:06 AM
yep same link.. he just replaced it

GuitarHero
July 14th, 2006, 07:10 AM
just tried it and it gave me the same error.....

Adamant1988
July 14th, 2006, 07:11 AM
hrmm well I linked him to this thread
maybe he'll figure out what's going on =\

David B.
July 14th, 2006, 07:15 AM
hey this is LInuxNIT... do you have pump installed? it needs either pump or dhclient(dhcp-client)
i can install on my system with the .deb with pump installed and no
dhcp-client
i appreciate your feedback as i would like this to work on as many systems as possilbe
thanks
David

David B.
July 14th, 2006, 07:16 AM
oh yeah if you could paste the out put from dpkg -i wifi-wiz-v2-2.deb that would be nice :D

ubuntu_demon
July 14th, 2006, 04:54 PM
Here's a link to the directory so you can see when a new version is up :
http://www.elivedev.org/linuxnit/files/index.php

Adamant1988
July 14th, 2006, 07:30 PM
the dependancy problem is that it needs either pump or Dhcp-client installed... I guess installing PUMP is the best option to get it working.

David B.
July 15th, 2006, 02:06 AM
i have made a new .deb that looks for dhcp3-client or pump. dhcp3-client should be installed on ubuntu already. the .deb worked on ubuntu livecd.
Feel free to try it. if the deb does not work for you there is the .tar.gz file with a install script.
Hope you enjoy the app.
David(linuxNIT)

GuitarHero
July 15th, 2006, 05:04 AM
i had dhcp-client, guess ill try pump

Adamant1988
July 15th, 2006, 05:07 AM
are you using gdebi to install this deb?

GuitarHero
July 17th, 2006, 04:59 AM
yes i am using gdebi. where do i get PUMP. I have DHCP-client, but its saying dependency is not satisfiable. PUMP is not in the pckg manager.

Adamant1988
July 17th, 2006, 05:03 AM
I found pump inside of synaptic (just search Pump)

David B.
July 17th, 2006, 05:06 AM
well man i dunno this is the first .deb i have made. You could use the install script from the tar.gz file. I have a small chat room on freenode #Wifi-wiz. As long as you have a program called dhclient (command line name) or pump (command line name) it will work. The install script would probably be better. Like i said im new to makeing .debs.

Iandefor
July 17th, 2006, 06:40 AM
Installed pump, and wifi-wiz installed without complaint. There's an executable called wifi-wiz inside /usr/bin, which returns this when I run it:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/wifi-wiz", line 279, in ?
inFile = open ("/etc/wifi-wiz/netlist.txt").readlines()
IOError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/etc/wifi-wiz/netlist.txt' Running with sudo returns:
['eth0 ']
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/wifi-wiz", line 394, in ?
update()
File "/usr/bin/wifi-wiz", line 163, in update
return update2()
File "/usr/bin/wifi-wiz", line 178, in update2
curentipstat.set('Local IP: ' +line[line.index('addr:')+5:line.index(' B')])
ValueError: substring not found

EDIT: Woops! Missed that the wireless card wasn't plugged in. Now it seems to work, but in order to be sure, I need a wireless network :rolleyes:.

Adamant1988
July 17th, 2006, 06:41 AM
I also found that error when I ran sudo, but I don't have a wireless card and I attributed it to that...

ubuntu_demon
July 17th, 2006, 09:47 AM
Here's a related thread :

WirelessClient specification - users feedback request
http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=200701