PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Hung while upgrading @ Running post-installation trigger update-notifier-common

mvsrinivas
June 15th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Hi,

I was installing updates to ubuntu 12.04 on my laptop. It was installing slowly and left it overnight to install. In the morning, I found that the update install process has hung. Can somone please help or suggest what could be wrong. Looks like I cannot stop the process either. Here is the screenshot:

Cheers,
Srini

2F4U
June 15th, 2013, 08:29 AM
Seems as if it got stuck while downloading. Did the machine go to sleep or got it disconnected from the network (happens more likely when connected wireless)?

mvsrinivas
June 16th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Seems as if it got stuck while downloading. Did the machine go to sleep or got it disconnected from the network (happens more likely when connected wireless)?

Yes, it was connected over wireless. Machine neither went to sleep nor got disconnected. I had to forcefully shut down by pressing the power button of laptop and boot again. It updated properly afterwards.

Thanks!

Rafael_Junqueira_Santos
October 3rd, 2013, 02:25 AM
Hi, I have the same problem, but with other reason:
My installation hung all the times because of this, so I cancelled it and tried to repair it with the live CD:

boot-repair gave me this solution:

dpkg-error detected. Please open a terminal then type (or copy-paste) the following command:

sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sda2" dpkg --configure -a

So I did it, and it stopped in this part:

Setting up update-notifier-common (0.145) ...
flashplugin-installer: downloading http://archive.canonical.com/pool/partner/a/adobe-flashplugin/adobe-flashplugin_11.2.202.310.orig.tar.gz
So I checked the link and tried to download manually to see if it was working. In fact, it is, but downloading at a 6KBps rate, meaning I would have to wait 40 min to download the 13MB file.
So the installation didn't actually freeze for me, it was just taking too much time because of this slow link, without giving feedback.

Edit: I'm using Ubuntu Gnome 13.10