PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Manual partition on laptop with ubuntu preloaded

DebiLogic
June 15th, 2013, 01:03 AM
Hello,

this is about a brand new hp 655 laptop. It comes with ubuntu 12.04 64bit preloaded from hp factory. On the very first boot ubuntu asks a few questions (keyboard, country etc) and proceeds with the automatic installation.

My concern is that I did not see anywhere the manual partition option. So is there any trick I could do in order to do manual partition for /, /home, /tmp etc?

Thank you in advance!

Edit:
Yes as suggeste here, in this case it is already installed so there are no options left.

fantab
June 15th, 2013, 04:34 AM
I haven't yet used a Ubuntu pre-installed machine. So I am not really sure how it goes about doing its thing. However, generally during installation when you get to a dialog which says 'Installation Type' you have to choose 'Something Else' option to gain manual control, especially, of intalling to partitions of your choice and boot loader installation.

oldfred
June 15th, 2013, 05:01 AM
I think you have what is called an OEM install. It is already installed and just asks questions to customize the install for you.

OEM mode so user can add name & password later:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ubuntu_OEM_Installer_Overview

DebiLogic
June 15th, 2013, 09:50 AM
I had no luck to get to the "installation type" menu. I am afraid everything is almost pre-installed and very few option are left in order to alter the system. it is a uefi system.

Look at the image below, it is a "system configuration" menu, it does not allow you to go back. In addition all the controls are there, on the top right of the screen, wlan, volume, shut down, keyboard etc.

That corner there, although this is the first screen you see on the very first boot (before this screen it just asks from you to wait, no menus, no buttons, and you wait for quite a bit), on the top-right, looks exactly as ubuntu looks when installed. As soon as you answer the questions ubuntu starts in a few minutes.

Anyway I have a few ideas in mind, and will come back with a solution and will post it here.

Thank you very much guys for the response, have a good day!

(I am sorry for the shaking picture, it's the best I could do with my old web cam.)

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/hmFNTIsbYk1RYYslT95z-oI9z9h-_Pig8BBRaJTIW96dtubk9VfZEj5jNLtz_IylsBuOmi5HX6RALN 0