PDA

View Full Version : Now this it Totally UBER COOL.

TNFrank
June 13th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Believe it or not I'm on the interweb typing this here booted from a 256MB USB drive with Tiny CorePlus(65MB install) on it and Firefox 10. Talk about a Very Light Weight Op System and still, here I am just like someone would be with their bloated Windows 8 Op System.LOL. One thing I love about CorePlus is that it detected my WiFi without a hitch, which Puppy or Damnsmall couldn't do. A quick install of Firefox and I'm surffing the web. If I'd have had Tiny CorePlus in the early '80's I'd be a millionaire right now because all we had were those stupid DOS 3.1 Op Systems to mess round with,LOL. Anyway, if you guys have a small USB sitting around and you'd like to play with a VSOS(Very Small Op System) give CorePlus a try. ;)

tgalati4
June 14th, 2013, 04:11 AM
Tinycore also runs on RaspberryPi boards--a reasonably complete computer the size of a pack of cards and the power use of a night light.

3rdalbum
June 14th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Believe it or not I'm on the interweb typing this here booted from a 256MB USB drive with Tiny CorePlus(65MB install) on it and Firefox 10...If I'd have had Tiny CorePlus in the early '80's I'd be a millionaire right now because all we had were those stupid DOS 3.1 Op Systems to mess round with,LOL.

I've heard that Tiny Core is a decent little system. It's not for me, but I respect it as a good lightweight choice.

However, you wouldn't be able to run Tiny Core in the early 1980s. Computers in the early 80s didn't come with hard disks, and the only models available would still be too small for Tiny Core. I'm also quite sure Tiny Core requires more than 1 megabyte of RAM, and would go pretty slowly on an 8 MHz CPU.

I seem to recall that USB wasn't invented yet either.

But I like your sentiment anyway :-)

Copper Bezel
June 14th, 2013, 03:57 PM
Had to check - it looks like the first machines TinyCore could theoretically run on were released somewhere between 1987 and 1990. = ) Apparently, later models of the IBM PS/2 had the processor and could support the RAM. And this is the the system that introduced VGA and PS/2 ports, so it has those going for it. = )

Bandit
June 14th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Tiny core possible could run on a 386DX (32bit), but dear lord dont think Firefox would ever open up..

Copper Bezel
June 14th, 2013, 07:06 PM
I don't think it would matter. Early i486 machines didn't have remotely enough RAM, from what I'm seeing, so that seems to be the bottleneck.

coldraven
June 14th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Nice :)

cwsnyder
June 15th, 2013, 11:55 AM
As I remember MS-DOS 3.1 was released for a 286 processor with 1M RAM. Try running Tiny Core on that machine. A large hard disk for that era was an 80M hard drive.

Raubhautz
June 15th, 2013, 11:15 PM
[...] However, you wouldn't be able to run Tiny Core in the early 1980s. Computers in the early 80s didn't come with hard disks, and the only models available would still be too small for Tiny Core. I'm also quite sure Tiny Core requires more than 1 megabyte of RAM, and would go pretty slowly on an 8 MHz CPU.

I seem to recall that USB wasn't invented yet either.

But I like your sentiment anyway :-)

Yeah, what were those 5.25" things, 120K?! Spring for the extra 2nd drive, whoooo-hooo.

Raubhautz
June 15th, 2013, 11:18 PM
As I remember MS-DOS 3.1 was released for a 286 processor with 1M RAM. Try running Tiny Core on that machine. A large hard disk for that era was an 80M hard drive.

8088 processor with up to 1meg, though only 640k was available for conventional memory use, the rest had to be loaded as extended memory. What fun those days were.