PDA

View Full Version : Problems caused by changing the name "Deja-Dup"

Mark_in_Hollywood
June 13th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Yesterday I did someting to my OS. It must now be re-installed. I run the (Ubuntu default) "Backup" and have saved my work. But, when I netsearched for the keywords:

livecd, ubuntu, backup

I get both misleading and some out-of-date information on the web.

My point here is that "Backup" is not a useful name for a program that is the Ubuntu default installation. It was called Deja-Dup.

Gedit is not called: editor

This needs to change. How about BackBuntu or Backup-dup

something unique so it show up in internet and forum searches.

grahammechanical
June 13th, 2013, 06:58 PM
What exactly were you searching for?

I just search for "ubuntu backup" and I found this

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BackupYourSystem

What do you wish to do?

Erik1984
June 13th, 2013, 08:14 PM
As I read it you prove his point with that search result. If you google for backup + Ubuntu hoping to get results on the specific backup tool called "Backup" you get a generic page explaining various backup solutions and terminology. If the tool has a different name than a generic term like backup it's easier to search for help with that specific tool.

Mark_in_Hollywood
June 13th, 2013, 08:59 PM
Q.e.d.

mikodo
June 13th, 2013, 09:53 PM
I am guessing Michael Terry is of French ancestry. I think Canadian, so quite possibly the name has to do with Deja-vu "already seen" and duplicity. A nice play on words. But, in fairness, I agree with the OP.

I use "Back in Time".

The name seems more appropriate to my celtic ancestory, I guess.

;p

markbl
June 14th, 2013, 12:57 AM
My point here is that "Backup" is not a useful name for a program that is the Ubuntu default installation. It was called Deja-Dup.
The same argument applies to the default Ubuntu social networking app "Gwibber" changing it's name recently to "Friends". I disagree with this also.

I guess this is all part of the arrogant Ubuntu play for the Linux desktop.

Mark_in_Hollywood
June 14th, 2013, 02:13 AM
Keeping It Simple should not also keep-it-konfused (not dissing KDE here, only making a play on words.

Copper Bezel
June 14th, 2013, 09:39 AM
The same argument applies to the default Ubuntu social networking app "Gwibber" changing it's name recently to "Friends". I disagree with this also.

I guess this is all part of the arrogant Ubuntu play for the Linux desktop.
A curiosity, but all screenshots of Deja-Dup I can find really do seem to be running under Ubuntu, yet it's listed on GNOME Live!. There is not, for instance, a similar page at https://live.gnome.org/Unity . = )

In any case, it's Gnome, not Ubuntu, pushing the trend. gedit is still gedit with a launcher that calls it Text Editor, but Nautilus is Files and Totem is Videos all the way down to their About pages and each just happen to run by a different command. Disk Usage Analyzer is Baobab on its About page, but nowhere else. Rhythmbox is Rhythmbox, but Gnome is switching to a music player called Music.

Deja-Dup does identify itself as such in a welcome screen on first run, but since it's part of System Settings, it's treated as the "Backup" page thereof and has no About page.

I actually think it's less about arrogance (most of the apps at least have unique project names even if the user never sees them) and more about a (forced, certainly) simplicity. Presumably Gnome assumes that KDE users could just as easily be using Amarok and calling it Music and not care which app is really running. It does reflect a Not Built Here tendency, but that's so inherent in Gnome's ethos that I don't think it's evidence of any particular new nastiness.

I much prefer elementary (http://elementaryos.org/docs/human-interface-guidelines/text/naming-your-app)'s approach to naming.