PDA

View Full Version : Startup Disk Creator not finding 12.04 download file

islandBilly
June 13th, 2013, 01:02 PM
I have been using Ubuntu for years and years, and wanted to create a 12.04 lts live usb for a friend to try. I have downloaded it three times from the Ubuntu site, but when I launch the Startup Disk Creator (using 11.04 on an old netbook), it fails to recognise the download. I have hit the "Other" button and gone to the iso, chosen it, but when I get back to the main window, that choice is not there.

Looking in my download folder, I see that the iso is only 486Mb, and there is a second file named ....iso.part that is 564.2Mb

So is my download not working? I have never seen it break into parts before.

byStanderone
June 13th, 2013, 01:28 PM
....i think your downloaded iso is no complete...mine was 69..mb

cincinnatus13
June 13th, 2013, 02:03 PM
Your iso didn't fully download as stated above. For best results, torrent it. Puts less strain on the servers and won't leave you hanging with an incomplete file.
Look in the "alternative downloads" section of ubuntu.com to find the torrent file.

TNFrank
June 13th, 2013, 03:31 PM
I've had that same issue on a couple occasions too. Not sure what it was that was causing it though. Incomplete download might be it though. I'll have to check into it and see if I get different results. ;)

islandBilly
June 13th, 2013, 04:54 PM
Ok, maybe it was just bad luck, but when I went to (shudder!) Win7 and downloaded it via pendrivelinux, it worked fine. I am now testing the resulting usb-live version of 12.04 on my little netbook, where I was afraid to upgrade past 11.04, and it seems to be working great! Guess I will upgrade the netbook after all :D