PDA

View Full Version : Installing 13.04, Manual Partitioning, Encryption and LVM?

Simon G Best
June 13th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Hello!

I wish to install Ubuntu 13.04 desktop (Xubuntu, more specifically,) using encryption and LVM, with manual partitioning and my own set-up of LVM logical volumes. I have made a few attempts with live discs, but the installers don't seem to allow me to set up my own LVM logical volumes.

I've been able to do this using the alternate installation disc for 12.04. But I don't seem to be able to do this with the graphical installers on 13.04 (or 12.10) discs.

As I understand it, there aren't different, alternate installation discs any more. Can the 13.04 desktop discs be used for alternative installation like the old alternate discs? If so, how? Or is there some other way I'm supposed to manually set up LVM with a 13.04 disc? I haven't been successful in trying to find answers to these questions myself.

I know I could start off with 12.04 and then repeatedly upgrade to 13.04, but I'd rather start with 13.04 (partly to avoid problems with 12.04 on new hardware). And I know I could use 13.04 server instead to begin with, but I'd much rather start with a desktop set-up than a server.

Also, I do know that I can choose encryption and LVM on the graphical installer, but that just gives me one, single logical volume for everything but /boot. What I want to do, instead, is manually set up a set of LVM logical volumes.

Can anyone point me to answers to my questions?

Thanks!

Simon

Cheesemill
June 13th, 2013, 09:26 AM
You can install using the Mini CD to get the text-mode installer that used to be on the Alternate CD's.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/netboot/raring/

Simon G Best
June 13th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks! :D