PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] CUPS installed but apparently not working

Rex Bouwense
June 12th, 2013, 10:50 PM
I finally got around to installing Lubuntu 13.04 on my ASUS so now I am triple booting with 12.04 and 12.10. Today I decided that I might want to print something so I downloaded and tried to install HPLIP. Got the following error.

error: A required dependency 'cups (CUPS - Common Unix Printing System)' is still missing.

RUNNING POST-PACKAGE COMMANDS
-----------------------------
OK

RE-CHECKING DEPENDENCIES
------------------------
error: A required dependency 'cups (CUPS - Common Unix Printing System)' is still missing.
error: Installation cannot continue without this dependency.
error: Please manually install this dependency and re-run this installer.

What gives. Apparently I have it installed but it is not recognized? Is there a work around available?

monkeybrain2012
June 12th, 2013, 10:54 PM
Hi,

I have run into a similar problem. I grab the deb from Precise's repository and it worked. I have filed a bug report, if that is your problem please go there and add an affect me too.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2150773 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2150773)

Rex Bouwense
June 12th, 2013, 11:02 PM
OK. I added "this affects me" to the Launchpad bug. What does cups-pdf have to do with the system telling me that cups is not installed?

monkeybrain2012
June 12th, 2013, 11:04 PM
Ok, on second reading It appears to be a different problem then, I don't have problem installing cups or cups-pdf, just that cups-pdf is installed but system doesn't detect it. Maybe it is related.

Rex Bouwense
June 12th, 2013, 11:07 PM
I have the newest version of cups installed already. Apparently, it is not being recognized as being installed or at least that is what HPLIP says when I try to install it. Also no printers are discovered. Nice.

Rex Bouwense
June 13th, 2013, 01:16 AM
OK, for those of you that are interested, I uninstalled CUPS and reinstalled it. Then I configured the printer before I tried to install HPLIP 3.13.5. When I tried to install HPLIP this time it recognized CUPS and installed. I do not know what the problem was, but now I have a functional printer in Lubuntu 13.04.