PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Xfce software update notifier / launcher

rconway
June 10th, 2013, 10:18 AM
Have started using Xubuntu instead of Mint. Really liking xfce now I've worked out how to configure the panels etc. to my preference.

One thing I miss from Mint is the 'Software Update' notification icon, which also acts as a launcher for the update manager. With Xubuntu I believe there's a notification icon *only* when updates are available. Would be nice if the icon were there permanently, to be used as a launcher.

Anyone know if this can be done?

Failing that, is it possible to create a panel launcher to the Software Update 'application' which is buried within Settings and so can't be used as a normal app launcher?

Help appreciated.

Cheers,
Richard

The Cog
June 10th, 2013, 10:35 AM
I don't know of a way to make the alert start the updater program.

This is how to add a button to the panel: Right-click the panel and go to panel preferences. Add a launcher, then edit it. The command for the launcher is update-manager .

ajgreeny
June 10th, 2013, 11:18 AM
If you right click the notification in your panel you get several options to do a number of things including install updates, start package manager, etc etc.

rconway
June 10th, 2013, 01:12 PM
OK thanks.
Following your instruction I now, at least, have a launcher for the updater.

R.

rconway
June 10th, 2013, 01:22 PM
That's handy, but the notification icon is only there if there are updates available - would be nice if it was always there, providing a summary status indication. I like to have something I can click on to force an update check etc. - also nice to have a visual indication that everything is healthy, i.e. no updates due, no failures in last update check etc.