PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Upgrade to 13.04: Nautilus "Open with..." no longer works with .avi

stepheny
June 9th, 2013, 09:15 AM
After upgrading to 13.04 and making the usual adjustments I am left with 2 problems. This is the first and my next post will be the second.

When I right click on a .avi file the usual menu opens and if I select the default viewer, "Open with VLC media player" , nothing happens. If I choose ""Open with" and then select "SMPlayer" or "Movie Player", again nothing happens.

All movie players are installed and working and if I start up, for instance, VLC and then select the file it plays it perfectly.

mikodo
June 9th, 2013, 09:36 AM
After upgrading to 13.04 and making the usual adjustments I am left with 2 problems. This is the first and my next post will be the second. When I right click on a .avi file the usual menu opens and if I select the default viewer, "Open with VLC media player" , nothing happens. If I choose ""Open with" and then select "SMPlayer" or "Movie Player", again nothing happens. All movie players are installed and working and if I start up, for instance, VLC and then select the file it plays it perfectly. I don't use Ubuntu but Xubuntu, but google shows this link . Might it be the answer: http://www.itworld.com/software/355979/set-vlc-default-video-player-ubuntu-1304

stepheny
June 9th, 2013, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the reply but the problem is not setting VLC as the default. The problem is that right clicking on a .avi file and selecting any player at all, nothing happens even though the players are all working perfectly.

stepheny
June 10th, 2013, 05:59 AM
I fixed this by going to ~/.local/share/applications/ and right clicking on "VLC media player". The command had been corrupted by the upgrade, "-F 32" had been added to the command "optirun vlc U%". I removed that and everything is fine now.

How do I mark this thread as solved?

mikodo
June 11th, 2013, 11:37 PM
[How do I mark this thread as solved?[/QUOTE]

Try this method for marking a thread as solved. (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/SolvedThreads)

Edit: I see you have it marked already! Blah............

;p