PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite programming language?

netkid91
July 13th, 2006, 10:42 PM
No, this is not a "I want to know what language I should use", post, just interested in seeing the results. I'm really curious as to what hits the top.

dabear
July 13th, 2006, 11:33 PM
where the heck is python, c#, c, vb.net etc?

Engnome
July 13th, 2006, 11:36 PM
There wasn't many languages there (mine was there though (perl)) and there should be an "Other" option. You know 10 is maximum on one poll.

Maybe it should be multiple choice to as you might have a favorite language for different kinds of projects.

thumper
July 13th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Where the hell is python?

What about other (ADA, Fortran, ML, ocaml, et al).

thumper
July 13th, 2006, 11:38 PM
Anyway, I don't have one favourite but two.

C++ and python

Daverz
July 13th, 2006, 11:57 PM
If you included Ruby, you must have been aware of Python.

Also, C and C++ are distinct languages.

Note360
July 13th, 2006, 11:58 PM
I think c/++ is C and C++. Currently I am learning C due to overwhelming evidence that once I know C everything else will come easy. Also C and C++ are completly different languages as are Objective-C (NeXTSTeP and OS X mostly some GTK apps are Obj-C I think) and C#. I like Ruby alot so I marked it but may favorite is Perl at this moment.

Somenoob
July 14th, 2006, 12:54 AM
you forgot to add python and java among other languages to your list

LordHunter317
July 14th, 2006, 01:04 AM
I think c/++ is C and C++.Yes, but the point is that they should be distinct, because they are rather distinct.

Currently I am learning C due to overwhelming evidence that once I know C everything else will come easy.All that evidence is nothing but lies. Best practices in C are by necessity worse practices in everything else (except maybe some assembly dialects, but even then, sometimes they are).

And best practices in virtually all other languages are worst practices or simply impossible in C.

As a stupidly effective illustration of this point, try writing a C program that asks the user for a string, reads it as input, and then prints out that string as part of a message. You must safely handle all possible input cases without creating a buffer overflow situation or any other application bugs (running out of memory and exiting because the user typed in an execssive amount of input is OK).

Then do the same thing in C++. Or Perl. Or PHP. Or Python. Or Ruby. Or Java. Or C#. Or any other language just about. You'll see it's much simpler to this common, fundamental, simple task correctly. You'll also see that the vast majority of people can't even do it correctly in C.

Just my two cents.

My favorite language is probably Nemerle, because I think it's very nifty and practical. I'm a big fan of practical things.

slider
July 14th, 2006, 01:28 AM
Currently I am learning C due to overwhelming evidence that once I know C everything else will come easy. Also C and C++ are completly different languages

I think you misunderstood the evidence. Learning C doesn't make learning other languages easier, it is just that most other languanges are easier to learn than C :-) .

I wouldn't call C and C++ completely different languages either. They have more in common than any other two languanges. They use the same compiler and can be easily mixed in the same executeable.

Favorites

Web application == PHP
Client Application == C++
Automation scripts == shell script or Perl

LordHunter317
July 14th, 2006, 01:40 AM
I wouldn't call C and C++ completely different languages either.I would, because they are.

They have more in common than any other two languanges.Not really. Many members of the LISP family share way more in common than C and C++.

They use the same compilerNope.

and can be easily mixed in the same executeable.Sorta. They can be mixed eaiser than other languages, but not transparently. Your C++ still has to use specific syntax to disable name-mangling, and you have to write your C++ code to handle the limitations of the C type system, usually by wrappers or some other mechanism.

Going the other way: calling C from C++, is eaiser, but still has some issues. Mostly again, you're limited to C's weaker type system.

slider
July 14th, 2006, 03:33 AM
I said

they use the same compiler

he said

Nope.

OK, I was wrong there. Being self taught I can be ignorant of what is happening under the hood. What I was getting at is that I've worked on multiple projects which were half-way in a transition from C to C++. Some ifdefs and creative use of struct typedefs and new development could happen in C++ without having to rewrite old working C code. Similar syntax made it easy to work in both C and C++ source without a serious context shift (in my brain), unlike other languages where it always takes a moment when I start in one after working in another for awhile.

netkid91
July 14th, 2006, 04:28 AM
I guess I have some explaining to do. I always consider C and C++ very similar languages, not because of the dialect and crap, and I know that C++ programming is WAY different then C (std::cout << "Hello!\n" vs. printf("Hello!\n"), but it's because they are still closely related, C code can use C++ libraries (well, it depends I guess...) and vice versa. Anyways, I also just didn't feel like splitting them into seperate choices. As for the lack of C#, hadn't thought of it at the time, Objective-C wasn't included as I thought it wasn't frequently used (except in Mac OS X apps.) Next, the lack of python, first, again, hadn't though of it, second, I think pythons a peice of crap, but that's not why it wasn't there. And lastly, I didn't put java down because if I saw ONE person vote for it I'd have to kill them (I know...java probably has changed from the old days of little annoying gray boxes, but it's still slow and hogs TONS of memory), and again, I forgot about it. And lastly, I don't consider VB.NET a programming language, and it isn't supported on Linux either (MONO has no VB.NET compiler). Anyways, I'm liking the...er...uhm...results?!

LordHunter317
July 14th, 2006, 06:07 AM
Objective-C wasn't included as I thought it wasn't frequently used (except in Mac OS X apps.)It's not.

And lastly, I didn't put java down because if I saw ONE person vote for it I'd have to kill themWhich shows clearly virtually all your opinions on these languages isn't based on fact, but narrow-minded, incorrect bias and opinion.

(I know...java probably has changed from the old days of little annoying gray boxes, but it's still slow and hogs TONS of memory),Wrong on both counts.

And lastly, I don't consider VB.NET a programming language,It's touring complete, hence it is a programming language by most people. It's also virtually identical to C# by and large. It's superior in a few minor ways, inferior in others.

and it isn't supported on Linux either (MONO has no VB.NET compiler).They have a very preliminary one.

Anyways, I'm liking the...er...uhm...results?!Of course you would. However, they're worse than meaningless.

skull_leader
July 14th, 2006, 06:24 AM
After skimming some tutorials, I've settled on learning Python.

tzulberti
July 14th, 2006, 10:53 AM
I only know a few languages (vb, c++, pascal), and i prefer c++

Note360
July 14th, 2006, 04:32 PM
I noticed somthing with C where as in other languages I could already get user input in C I can't and when I do it is character by character and you have to program every little thing instead of (like in perl) you just dump <STDIN> or <> into a variable $input = <STDIN> and then use that variable over and over again. Though you would probably want to chomp the variable before you use it. I wanted to learn a OO language but I had a C book sitting under my desk next to a java book and I picked up the C book first. Should I learn Java instead? Should I continue with Perl, or should I finish with Ruby?

And when I said easy before I meant easier.

wdo_will
July 15th, 2006, 01:10 AM
Personally, I'm a PHP person. But I'd like to learn perl, python and ruby (not rails!) some day.

Van_Gogh
July 15th, 2006, 04:10 PM
Python's my favourite here. It's just Very Nice and I love how you can get things done quickly but still in a very solid manner. And yes, this poll is woefully lacking some of the more popular languages.

Enter
July 15th, 2006, 05:31 PM
how come no one said HTML!!!!

slider
July 15th, 2006, 06:15 PM
how come no one said HTML!!!!

Can't tell if you are serious or if this is just a troll. As hinted at by the acronym html is a Markup Language, not a programming languange.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/prog.html

Enter
July 15th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Can't tell if you are serious or if this is just a troll. As hinted at by the acronym html is a Markup Language, not a programming languange.

http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/prog.html

yeah it was a joke, but for a person who doesnt know anything about programming html even without css is a programming language thats why it should be funny

Jessehk
August 7th, 2006, 01:29 AM
Both this poll and the opinions of its author are very close-minded.
That said, I could never miss the oppertunity to state my opinion. ;)

I'm a hobbyist at this point (Computer Engineering (a mix of EE and CS) would probably be my ideal career), and I'm a fan of Python for programs not requiring speed. I'm happy to use C or C++, but only when Python is too slow, or I need to be at a lower level.

I just looked into O'Caml, and liked it, but I can't seem myself using it for anything.

bieber
August 7th, 2006, 01:38 AM
I know it's not really practical for large projects (well, not large projects on Unix systems, anyways), but my favorite language is x86 Assembly Language. I abandoned it when I switched to GNU/Linux for the sake of portability and usability (it becomes a little hellacious when you don't have MASM's high level macros to help you out), but I always loved coding in assembly. It's certainly not the language for everybody, but I highly reccomend at least learning it once. If it does nothing else for you, at the very least, you will learn a lot about how your computer actually works by learning to work with it. And then you can brag to people about knowing the machine's language...

mdmarmer
August 7th, 2006, 01:52 AM
I'm a mainframe dba, not sure I should comment

"And when I watch the lightning
Burn unbelievers to a crisp,
I know God had six days to work
So he wrote it all in LISP.

Yes, God had a deadline
So he wrote it all in LISP"

Song is available for free download from Amazon -- try it, you'll like it

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000099SW3/ref=sr_11_1/002-9343748-6813665?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=468646

:) Mike

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=22481

bieber
August 7th, 2006, 02:06 AM
That's awesome. Lisp has to come second to Assembly on my list. Once again, not something I can really use for much, thanks to the fact that clisp doesn't compile native code, but I still love the language...

X.Cyclop
August 7th, 2006, 09:16 PM
C/C++, of course.

themusicwave
August 8th, 2006, 04:08 PM
Netkid time to kill me....

I vote for JAVA!

I seriously love Java I know many other languages, but I still find myself using java often. So go ahead and kill me now.

I think Java gets a bad rap these days due to poor coding. Java can be fast if you know how to write it well. Problem is many peopel don't know how to do so.

In my personal opinion, C# is a rip-off of Java so much is almost identical in both. Sometimes they changed the keywords, sometimes they didn't.

I also like c++ as well.

Edit:
I forgot to mention I have done projects in a bunch of languages for classes including:
C, C++, Assembly, C#, Scheme, Perl and of course Java

flaak_monkey
August 9th, 2006, 03:29 AM
Ruby on RAils for me. :)

Revert
August 9th, 2006, 03:38 AM
Out of what I know (Java, Python, a little Ruby, Scheme, Bash, and C) Python is my favorite. I could see myself preferring Ruby, but I honestly haven't done too much with the language, so I'm not sure yet.

jpkotta
August 9th, 2006, 04:03 AM
I like C because it's simple and fast and small. I like Perl because it's useful. I'd say Perl is my favorite. I'm going to try Python soon.