PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Install on External Drive for Surface Pro

Hydrohs
June 6th, 2013, 03:32 PM
Alright, so I've got a Surface Pro and I want to use Ubuntu on it, but I don't want to shrink the Windows partition. I've got an SSD that I threw into a USB 3 enclosure and my goal is to install Ubuntu to this and then just boot from it whenever I want to use Ubuntu. My issue is actually accomplishing this, it seemed simple enough but I just can't get it to work. I loaded up the Live environment using the toram option (since there's only a single USB port) but when I plugged in my external drive it was not detected or mounted. So as a plan B I tried installing it to the drive from another computer and then trying to boot it from my Surface, no go there. I'm thinking it could be because it wasn't installed in EFI mode. So basically, anyone have any insight as to how to get this working?

I should note I tried the same procedure with Fedora 18 (loading the Live environment into RAM) and it was able to mount the SSD just fine, but I came across errors trying to install because it was complaining there was no stage1 boot device, or some such thing which from more searching seemed like it was another EFI issue.

Naptunian
June 10th, 2013, 05:36 PM
Great question. I'm looking to do the same thing. Hope someone can answer this.