PDA

View Full Version : [other] Dual Boot Linux-Windows 8 from linux

Airborn
June 4th, 2013, 11:56 PM
Maybe in wrong place, but heres my problem. I have a windows 8 product key, and want to dual boot windows with linux, problem is im already on linux, so I cant use the installer windows has on their website here http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only

fantab
June 5th, 2013, 06:14 AM
So you are NOT dual booting Windows and Linux?
That installer is only for 'UPGRADING' from previous Windows version to Win8. If you don't have any Windows already installed then that key/installer won't work. You will have do use Win8 DVD/USB to do a complete install and then use that 'product-key'. To do this you have to have NTFS Partition or 'Unallocated space' on your Hard Disk to be able to install Win8.

Mark Phelps
June 5th, 2013, 02:15 PM
fantab is correct -- this comes directly from the page you linked:

This PC must be running Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP with Service Pack 3 (SP3), Windows 8 Release Preview, Windows 8 Consumer Preview, or Windows Developer Preview. (Windows 8 Setup checks that your PC meets all system requirements before it installs Windows 8.)

The Win8 installer WILL check for the existence of an existing "qualifying" MS Windows installation on the PC.