PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Forced to reset compiz/unity after each linux-headers upgrade

waallen
June 4th, 2013, 12:09 PM
Good morning everyone, I've been using Ubuntu (currently 13.04) for a bunch of months now and I was wondering if it's acceptable to have to reset compiz and unity (with
dfconf reset -f /org/compiz and
setsid unity after every linux-headers/linux-generic upgrade.
Right after that on the first boot, I am prompted with the desktop having no bars. I tried looking for other cleaner methods such as just re-installing the ATI proprietary drivers, cleaning the compiz-1 folder but none of them worked. Is there any other way to prevent this behavior besides resetting both compiz and unity configurations?

waallen
June 5th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Bump

bogan
June 6th, 2013, 07:19 PM
Hi!, Waallen,

I had the same blank Desktop problem after updating 13.04 on three different installations.

Neither the dconf reset, nor various Compiz reset commands, worked for me as I had 'unable to open display' & 'GLX Plugin not loaded' errors.

What did work for me is the code below using the '--reset-unity' option included in 'Unity-tweak-tool', run from a new Admin account, or when logged in to Gnome fallback.

Note: you may need to use 'sudo' instead of 'gksudo', or neither, as there is a Post that gksudo gave an 'unrecognised command' message.

I did not have to run the reset again after later more recent kernal updates.

Originally Posted by bogan in Ubuntu +1: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2136435 There is a long list of alternative reset commands in that Thread. [ Posts #39 & #36']
Quote:
My Blank Desktop problem with 13.04 has been cured by using a terminal in Fallback mode to enter the reset-unity command included in Unity-Tweak-Tool:
sudo apt-get install unity-tweak-tool
echo $DESKTOP_SESSION
fallback-compiz
gksudo unity-tweak-tool --reset-unity
Warning: You are about to reset unity to its default configuration.
It is normal for your desktop to flicker during the process.
Type yes to continue, anything else to exit. Do You wish to continue? _ On rebooting, all the log-in options' displays were correct and with intact Launchers and Panels.

Running the same commands when logged into the faulty Ubuntu/Unity Blank Desktop gave a 'Can not open display' message and did nothing.

It is probable - though I have not tried it - that the other compiz/unity reset commands would also work if run in the same way.

Chao!, bogan.