PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 install on Dell D430 running so slow - fix

rhilluk
June 4th, 2013, 12:48 AM
I thought I would post my experience here as reading through the forum has helped me sort this problem out.

I have a dell d430 laptop with an intel 1.33 duo core processor with 2gb of ram with an onboard intel graphics card. I installed ubuntu 12.04 off of a cd and on the first boot up was into problems straight away. Although my laptop is not fast it should be more than capable of running unbuntu. Straight away everyting was slow, nothing worked and it was case of ask it to do something and then wait 30 mins for it to do it. However after installing LXDE UI it was still running slow and the cpu was constantly maxed out at 100%.

However trawling through this forum I tried lots of things and decided it was the graphic card. There were no drivers installed and I thought maybe if I installed one it would speed up. So google became my friend and ended up using this page http://www.webupd8.org/2013/04/how-to-use-intel-linux-graphics-drivers.html

on the first boot up afterwards everything was as it should be and even avi films are nice and smooth.

So if anyone else has trouble with a very slow computer it maybe your graphics driver.