PDA

View Full Version : Gdevilspie won't run after upgrade to 13.04

Lateralus138
June 3rd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Hello, I recently upgraded to 13.04 and there was a few small problems which I fixed from past experience, but I can't seem to get Gdevilspie to run. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and didn't work. I know devilspie still works because all the things it controls still work. I tried running it from terminal and I get this:

ian@Hell:~$ gdevilspie
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/gdevilspie", line 893, in <module>
MainWindow = RulesListWindow()
File "/usr/bin/gdevilspie", line 374, in __init__
self.UpdateAutostartStatus()
File "/usr/bin/gdevilspie", line 545, in UpdateAutostartStatus
if (os.path.exists(xdg.DesktopEntry.xdg_config_home + "/autostart/devilspie.desktop")):
AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'xdg_config_home'

with gksudo:

(gksudo:28749): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory 22x22/action of theme glass has no size field

(gksudo:28749): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory 22x22/status of theme glass has no size field

if (os.path.exists(xdg.DesktopEntry.xdg_config_home + "/autostart/devilspie.desktop")):

Ok I am so sorry for wasting forum space I figured it out... It is a known bug and when I first searched I didn't find anything, but if you comment out line 374 in the program it works!

ClientAlive
February 10th, 2014, 05:05 PM
Hello, I recently upgraded to 13.04 and there was a few small problems which I fixed from past experience, but I can't seem to get Gdevilspie to run. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling and didn't work. I know devilspie still works because all the things it controls still work. I tried running it from terminal and I get this:

with gksudo:

(gksudo:28749): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory 22x22/action of theme glass has no size field

(gksudo:28749): Gtk-WARNING **: Theme directory 22x22/status of theme glass has no size field

Ok I am so sorry for wasting forum space I figured it out... It is a known bug and when I first searched I didn't find anything, but if you comment out line 374 in the program it works!

Thank you so very, very much for telling what the soln is. As of today's date, I commented out line 374 as you say and gdevilspie lanuches and appears to work just fine. My terminal output before commenting that line out was identical to what you show though.

Peace
Jake

PS : For anyone new to ubuntu or the command line, a good way to accomplish commenting the line out is...

( 1 ) Open a terminal with ctrl + alt + t
( 2 ) Type sudo gedit /usr/bin/gdevilspie and press enter
( 3 ) Enter your password and press enter
( 4 ) If you do not see line numbers, click the edit menu in gedit, then click preferences ( look for the check box "show line numbers" and check it
( 5 ) Scroll down to line 374 and put a # symbol to the far left of the line ( prefix the line with # )
( 6 ) Press ctrl + s to save the changes and then exit out of gedit ( maybe give it a few seconds to finish saving before exiting though )
( 7 ) You are done with the fix, you can now launch gdevilspie and it ( should ) work.

Note : As programs/applications do change over time, this fix may not work in the future and it may not work for other problems. If your terminal output matches what Lateralus138 shows ( like mine did ) it probably will work. Give it a shot, you can always reverse the change if it doesn't work.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edit : I just discoverd that, while gdevilspie will launch after commenting out line 374, it will not autostart the daemon when you check the box for it in it's gui ( bottom of the window in gdevilspie ). I don't know whether that line being commented out is the cause of it or not; but having it's daemon autostart/work is something I have to have. If I find a soln I'll post it. In the mean time, is there someone here that knows how to fix this?

Thanks

kemal-karabeg
April 13th, 2014, 09:09 AM
Well I have exactly the same problem.I am using Ubuntu 14.04 beta 2 gnome and trying to accomplish the same thing.But,uncommenting that 374 line is causing gdevilspie daemon to not autostart.Any solution to this??

kannehana
May 11th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Well I have exactly the same problem.I am using Ubuntu 14.04 beta 2 gnome and trying to accomplish the same thing.But,uncommenting that 374 line is causing gdevilspie daemon to not autostart.Any solution to this?? I upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 14.04 LTS and can confirm that the problem still persists. Sad, since devilspie is such a useful tool and gdevispie helps to use it !
apt-cache policy devilspie
devilspie:
Installed: 0.23-2
Candidate: 0.23-2
apt-cache policy gdevilspie
gdevilspie:
Installed: 1:0.5-3
Candidate: 1:0.5-3
apt-cache policy python-xdg
python-xdg:
Installed: 0.25-4
Candidate: 0.25-4
From http://pyxdg.readthedocs.org/en/latest/basedirectory.html we learn that

xdg.BaseDirectory.xdg_data_dirs
Editing the /usr/bin/gdevilspie script (make a copy first !):, after

import xdg.DesktopEntryadd

import xdg.BaseDirectoryand then, using the Replace function of your editor (ex. gedit), replace all occurrences of

xdg.DesktopEntry.xdg_config_homewith

xdg.BaseDirectory.xdg_config_homeOr, if you prefer patching, here's the 'diff -u' patch file (https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/62585371/linux/gdevilspie-0.5.-3_ubuntu14.04.patch) of my modifications which are doing the above.
Check that you have indeed 0.5-3 version of gdevilspie package (see above).
Move the above patch file into the /usr/bin directory (mv as root, or with sudo mv, as you prefer) and then patch as in
root@clevo:/usr/bin#
with

patch -b -V t < gdevilspie-0.5.-3_ubuntu14.04.patch
You would have
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 38292 May 11 12:38 gdevilspie
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 38259 May 11 12:38 gdevilspie.~1~
Give it a try (or wait until it gets fixed first in the repository and then in the distribution).

BTW, you can autostart devilspie yourself, if you have already working rules in ~/.devilspie :
Either use cinnamon-session-properties (type startup in the Unity lense or start from command line), or simply add the following file, named devilspie.desktop in $HOME/.config/autostart directory:

[Desktop Entry]
Type=Application
Name=Devilspie
X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
Exec=devilspie

BTW(2) rant: the new login method to this forum through the now going-away-anyway-UbuntuOne is ridiculously complicated and one needs to be really determined to contributre ! All good things are fading under the business logic.

debbie3
February 18th, 2015, 12:39 PM
[QUOTE=Lateralus138;12676105]
[CODE]

Just installed linux mint 17.0. cinnamon 64 bit and I got the same problem. Gdevilspie would not open (got a spinning icon that then disappeared). Glad to say that commenting out line 374 in the program it worked.
Many Thanks

oldos2er
February 19th, 2015, 12:57 AM
Old thread closed.