PDA

View Full Version : Making games in Blender?

Shakkol
June 3rd, 2013, 02:51 PM
I'm considering it. I've just about fully converted myself to Ubuntu last week when I decided I wanted to use Blender to make some 3D models and not have to play around with installing Python (which I know is on Ubuntu, just don't like having to download this to download that, to download that, etc.). Since I installed Ubuntu Studio 13.04, the only thing I've run my side OS for is the games I bought on Steam. I love my Steam.

So anyway, back when I was with that other OS, I used Game Maker to make game engines (never fully made a game on it) and I thought it was fun and all, but when I last used Linux (2010 I think?) I noticed how the game library on the market wasn't too big, nor many original. So I vowed to make games that would either be cross-platform or Linux exclusive. Well, I don't exactly like the idea of having to use Wine to run games in Linux (nothing against Wine, I just don't think it's fair to vanilla Linux users) I decided to toss the concept of Game Maker out the window. I also didn't like that it wasn't user friendly as far as making 3D games goes (and I was only making Sega Genesis (Megadrive for non-US players) style 2D games (boring.)) Since I installed Studio 13, I've had no problems grasping my learning of Blender. The only goofing around I've done so far is load up a playlist for my music player (Totem, baby!) and watching YouTube videos for tutorials (I had NO IDEA Blender was capable of cel shading models! That's only what I've wanted to do for the longest time in my models (which isn't a lot of models, honestly.)).

So before I go about Googling around for hours and getting sidetracked into Googling related searches that expand into completely different searches (Like YouTube browsing, starting off with a good music video, ending up in conspiracy stories and wild, random crap 15 minutes later) would anyone recommend using Blender to make games? Could it export projects into games that don't need Blender to run (thus disabling compatibility issues for different versions of Blender) or closing up just a little source (I LOVE open source, but not to the point where a good game can be quickly forgotten because someone takes the source of it and makes something more appealing basing it off of that engine (my personal paranoia (been working on a story for a game for about 14 years, don't want it completely blown off for some FPS made using my engine or something)))? Or would it come to a point where I'll have to learn C++ and make a game creation engine (that source I wouldn't mind sharing completely. Linux needs an alternative to Game Maker)? I am a one-man team and have never had help with my creations (coding, art, sound, music, all of it (nobody cares to give input other than "Yeah, that looks good" while they're not even looking at it and instead focusing on a text message (wife))) and having to learn all of this would be overwhelming for me (being overwhelmed by too many things at once (work, learning stuff, woman, etc) started my bad habit of smoking.).

Sorry for all of the side thoughts (these), but that's kinda how I think when typing. Might as well type it instead of blowing it off, getting distracted by what I thought, then ultimately forgetting what my topic was altogether (constantly 32 simultaneous thought processes and short-term memory don't mix well.).

MG&TL
June 3rd, 2013, 05:06 PM
Wow. Leave the stuff in brackets in normal colour next time, that gave me eye-ache. :P

My brother (who is more arty than I) has been known to make games in blender. They're pretty good, but it has to be said that performance is not wonderful at present. And yes, blender can export standalone executables.

My suggestion would be to get started and see if you like the results or not. :)

Mikeb85
June 3rd, 2013, 06:50 PM
You can make games in Blender, but I've heard performance isn't great. Then again, I've seen some pretty impressive demos, and played a Blender game that did have decent performance.

It's certainly a great tool for prototyping and making a game quickly.

Blender's real strength is 3D modelling, so no matter which game engine you wind up using, you'll want to use Blender to make your assets.

I'd say try out Blender game engine, and if the performance isn't what you expect, simply take your 3D models and port your game to something like Irrlicht. But Blender's game engine may be enough.

Mikeb85
June 3rd, 2013, 06:54 PM
Some examples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM8AAsvcjfI