PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I get Calligra Author on Ubuntu 12.04/and or upgrade ubuntu

Jackalyn
June 3rd, 2013, 10:11 AM
Still a novice and still would like to try Calligra author. I have version 2.5.2 and am not sure how to upgrade. I would actually be happy to upgrade ubuntu as well but don't seem to be able to as the upgrade thing seems not to be working. I am sure someone will be able to remind me what to put into terminal. I think I may have to upgrade Ubuntu to get the newer version of Calligra?

In other words.

Please can someone spell it out in plain english what I need to do? I want Calligra 2.6 (or wherever author kicks and is stable)or higher on Ubuntu latest/so from 12.04 to 13.04?

Sorry probably two questions -or well whatever will work.

Thank you.

http://userbase.kde.org/Calligra/Download#Ubuntu

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/upgrade

markMDW
August 24th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't have Calligra Author in its software repository, although they do have some of the Calligra Suite's applications available, for instance the spreadsheet, word-processor and a few other packages. Calligra Suite is designed to use the KDE destop, and so perhaps Kubuntu would be a better choice to run it.

Several years back KDE 4 suffered a lot of criticism for reinventing itself, much in the same way that Unity has. Apparently a lot of the initial bugs have been worked out in KDE 4, including the offering of Calligra as its default office suite. On August 1st, 2013 Calligra Suite 2.7 was released, featuring the 2nd major version of Calligra Author, about a year after its initial release. Calligra Suite is poising itself to become a major alternative to Libre Office... and although not there yet, reviews are saying that it has a lot of potential with continued development.

Now might be the perfect time to give Kubuntu a try, along with Calligra Suit, including Author, which I'm understanding will be a package download option for the time being. I'd guess that by the time Kubuntu 14.04 is released, Calligra should be the standard office suite.

I believe I'm going to replace Ubuntu 12.04 on a laptop of mine, with Kubuntu 12.04, and give Calligra... and especially Calligra Author a try. I hope someone else has time to post their experience with Calligra and Author on the Ubuntu Forums, under this thread or one of the other Book Writing Software threads located in this forum.

:popcorn:

grahammechanical
August 24th, 2013, 07:37 PM
Ubuntu 12.04 is a Long Term Support (LTS) version. You will not be notified of an upgrade to Ubuntu until the next Ubuntu LTS version is released and that will be towards the end of April 2014. I really do suggest that you wait until Ubuntu 2014 is released.

Here is why. When we use an LTS we can simpy upgrade to the next LTS but if we have an interim or standard release we have to upgrade to the next standard release and then the next one and so on.

So, you will have to upgrade to 12.10 and then to 13.04 to get up to date. It is a lot upgrading. But 13.04 only has nine months support and that is not enough to get you to 14.04. So, to keep using a supported version you will have to upgrade at some point to 13.10 and then to 14.04 to get the next LTS release.

To do it you open Software Sources in System Settings and open the Updates tab and change the setting for the panel Notify me of a new Ubuntu version from For Long Term Support Versions to For Any New Version and then check for updates and you will get a button that will invite you to upgrade to 12.10.

But remember, once you go to 12.10 you can only get to 14.04 by upgrading to 13.04 and then 13.10 and then 14.04. Or re-install with 14.04 when it is released. We have 8 months to wait for 14.04.

I can tell you this about Calligra Author, it is in the Ubuntu Software Centre of Ubuntu 13.10 as is Calligra Suite. I am testing the development version of 13.10 right now and it is in the Software Centre for installing on Ubuntu. It most probably is also in the Ubuntu 13.04 Software Centre as well.

Regards.