PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good calender...

cocteau
July 13th, 2006, 06:47 PM
Hi

Since this is always a personal question and I've seen many different answers for the various OSs, I am curious about linux users.

What calender do people here use (if any) and why.

LordRaiden
July 13th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I find most calendar applications to be slow-loading for me in general, so I avoid them. A calendar should be as lightweight in terms of start up time and use very little resources (sort of like a real calendar).

Scunizi
July 13th, 2006, 07:21 PM
I use outlook & ACT! on "the other side" and the standard calander/email prog that comes with ubuntu (evolution?). I'm also toying with Yahoo, MSN & Gmail. I prefer the calandar to be integrated with my contacts since I use it extensively with my business. I like ACT because I can customize almost everything fairly easy but I haven't found an equivelent in linux. Any ideas anyone? What I eventually like to do is set up a server box and have contacts & calander accessed by me and my wife so we only have one database to deal with. I'd also like to share a calander with her instead of having seperate ones that we sync on occation.

Biltong (Dee)
July 13th, 2006, 07:48 PM
I use Active desktop calender on my work XP machine. I do a lot of internet mail-orders and this calender works well with Outlook 2003.

When I'm home I have no need of XP anything at all :-)

mazirian
July 13th, 2006, 07:53 PM
I like evolution for the following reasons: it integrates with gnome panel (if you use gnome), handles web calendars, stores everything in a standard .ics file so you can use various programming libraries to maniuplate it if you want, will read google calendar, will display multiple calendars and superimpose them, handles meeting requests, and is integrated with evo's contacts.

Stormy Eyes
July 13th, 2006, 08:11 PM
Nudes by Vargas

mazirian
July 13th, 2006, 09:03 PM
Ah, a fellow former Gentooer.

Polygon
July 13th, 2006, 10:06 PM
i use google calendar, but i will try evolution now that i see someone said it reads google calendar

ComplexNumber
July 13th, 2006, 10:22 PM
Nudes by Vargas
:mrgreen::mrgreen:

a good calendar is one that is relatively lightweight, and only has the basics(entering recurrance, alarm, etc). most calendars are about 80% useless for me because the developers add lots of features that are intended to make life easier for users, when in fact, they just complicate matters and get in the way.